The Blue Action Fund is pleased to announce a new funding window which provides individual grants to selected NGOs for projects in developing countries that support coastal and marine EbA and sustainable livelihoods.
With this Call, Blue Action Fund aims to support projects protecting and restoring adaptation-relevant coastal marine and freshwater ecosystems to reduce climate change-related risks for vulnerable coastal communities in Tanzania, Mozambique, Madagascar and South Africa, where such ecosystems are still quite abundant but are degrading and diminishing in size.
Blue Action Fund is looking forward to receiving proposals from NGOs for projects which are situated in these countries and have the following objectives:
- Enhanced protection and management of coastal ecosystems like mangroves, sea grass beds, coral reefs and tidal marshes, which are particularly relevant for climate change adaptation, focussing on new marine protected areas (MPAs), expansion of existing MPAs; or improving management effectiveness of MPAs;
- Rehabilitation of coastal ecosystems, which are particularly relevant for climate change adaptation;
- Enhanced livelihood conditions and food security;
- Improved knowledge, expertise and capacity of relevant national agencies to use Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) approaches for a climate-resilient coastal zone management.
The current expectation is that Blue Action Fund will award grants with a total volume of around EUR 20 million.
- Eligible applicants are NGOs or consortia of NGOs with proven experience in coastal and marine conservation and sustainable livelihood development in the area.
- Partners must have demonstrated capacity to implement larger projects, and their reporting and financial management systems must be compliant with internationally recognised standards.
- The Fund encourages applications of consortia of NGOs that include local implementing partners.
- Blue Action Fund’s procedures require that all projects must receive the endorsement of the appropriate authority/authorised body of the country/ies in which the project is located.
For more information, visit https://www.blueactionfund.org/call-for-proposals-ecosystem-based-adaptation-2/