HUD announced the third round of supplemental appropriations for the CARES Act Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Round 3 funding under COVID-19 to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the Coronavirus.
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) through the CDBG program provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. The CDBG program provides annual grants on a formula basis to Entitlement Communities as a means to support viable communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities, principally for low and moderate-income persons.
The Community Development Block Grant Coronavirus Response Supplement (CDBG-CV3) will address the priority need for emergency housing assistance and case management for local nonprofits as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic. Each proposed activity must directly benefit low to moderate-income persons.
- Local nonprofits that can provide COVID-19 Emergency Rental/Mortgage Assistance and COVID-19 Emergency Utility Assistance for CDBG-eligible households.
The CDBG COVID-19 Emergency Rental/Mortgage Assistance and Emergency Utility Assistance will provide assistance to Cobb residents who are in danger of becoming homeless due to their inability to pay their monthly rent.
Assistance can be up to a maximum of three months of rent payable to the landlord or utility payable to the utility company. Grant funding must not be paid directly to the tenant or homeowner.
Program eligibility requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Must qualify as low income and provide required documents such as identification, proof of income, assets, documentation of need, etc.
- Must have a delinquency notice from the landlord.
- Documentation of financial hardship due to COVID-19 (ex: loss of income, unexpected medical bill, unexpected car repair, etc.)
- Documentation of future financial management.
- Must be a Cobb County resident at least 6 of the previous 12 months.
- Location of the rental unit cannot be located outside Cobb County.
For more information, visit https://www.cobbcounty.org/economic-development/cdbg-program-office/programs