The City of Elliot Lake is seeking applications for the Community Grant Program to provide limited financial assistance to community groups and not-for-profit organizations within the City to assist with various activities.
This support is in recognition of the value of these groups to the well-being and growth of the community and is to help the municipality retain a strong community focus.
The City of Elliot Lake (the City) wishes to promote a varied and rich quality of life for all of its residents and visitors. At times, community groups and organizations in Elliot Lake need financial assistance to support community-based special projects or events.
This program and related forms are meant to streamline processing of grant requests and to ensure that any funds are distributed in an open, fair and accountable process and to the best benefit of the community. This program is available on a first come first serve basis.
All grantees are required to ensure adequate levels of property, general liability and/or alcohol related event insurance naming the City of Elliot Lake as an additional insured. This provision may be waived for special events that are jointly managed and/or otherwise covered by the existing municipal policy. The determination of insurance levels is at the sole and unique discretion of the City, either through the CAO’s office or by Council resolution.
- Arts, Culture and Heritage Projects or Events
- Community Beautification Projects or Events
- Special Events
- Tourism / Economic Development Projects or Events
- Support to families of youth to cover travel costs for sports or arts events outside the community
- Modest support for non-profits or student associations ie. prizes for charity events, ads in school yearbooks, bursaries
- Each year, as part of the annual budget process, Council will determine a financial commitment to the “Community Grant Program”. This money, up to a maximum of $3,500 per eligible organization, will be available for direct community grants.
- In addition to direct community grants, Council will also establish a budget for in-kind support and reserves the right to limit the value of said support to $2,500 per eligible organization. In-kind support may consist of the use of municipal property at reduced or no cost, municipal staff support, loan of equipment or material. In-kind support (for rentals of facilities and assets) is calculated according to the City of Elliot Lake’s User Fees and Charges By-Law.
- Applicants must be non-profit community groups and organizations whose primary focus is within the municipal boundaries of Elliot Lake.
- Grants are intended to be supplementary to an organization’s main sources of funding. The grant shall not be considered as the primary source of funding for the organization. The organization must show exploration of other financial and in-kind support (i.e. fund-raising and volunteer support).
- All funding shall be for future projects. Retroactive funding will not be considered.
- Repeat grants will only be available to organizations who have complied with the reporting requirements of any previous grants.
- Repeat grant applications must show how their event/activity differs from their previous application(s). Applicants should be aware that new events may be prioritized over returning events.
- Approved funding is only for the fiscal year in which the organization has applied. It is not to be regarded as a commitment by the City to continue such assistance in future years.
- Funding requests may be reduced in value at the discretion of Council to support a wider range of projects.
- No financial grants will be considered unless specifically authorized by this policy. In according grants, the City may impose at its sole and unique discretion the conditions it deems fit.
For more information, visit https://www.elliotlake.ca/en/our-community/community-grant-program.aspx