The Canadian Roots Exchange (CREation) has launched the Community Grants Program for Youth Empowerment Stream that will provide small grants from $2,500 – $5000 to youth-led projects happening in urban, rural, and remote communities across Canada.
The focus of this stream is to fund new and emerging micro-projects that focus on increasing the resilience, engagement and wellness of youth. Projects must be led by 2+ Indigenous youth (ages 15-29). Youth leaders (grantees) will receive innovative mentorship, training and capacity-building opportunities throughout the project. The Youth Empowerment Stream can be used as a steppingstone to implement a new idea or start your work with a project idea.
CREation is a multi-level funding program that will support strengths-based, community-focused and youth-led projects taking place in communities across Canada. Grassroots and incorporated youth groups/collectives are eligible to apply for funding to support community programs and projects, while receiving innovative mentorship, training and capacity-building opportunities.
There is a priority in this stream to support:
- New and emerging Indigenous grassroots groups and collectives
- Projects that are testing and/or trying a new idea
- New groups who have never run a project before
- Groups who have never received funding from CREation before
- Projects should focus on providing programming, training, or capacity-building opportunities for Indigenous youth. Below are some possible examples of eligible projects. These examples do not include every type of project that they would fund:
- Programs for youth to participate in recreational, wellness, and/or arts-based programming
- Cultural programming, including ceremonies, teaching circles, and land-based activities
- Peer-led circles where youth can build relationships and participate in online activities
- Intergenerational programs, that provide youth opportunities to work with Elders, parents, families, children, etc
- Programs that increase youth leadership skills
- Professional development programs for members of a youth council/organization to increase their knowledge about organizational governance
- Projects that target making resources (such as mental health services) safer and more accessible
- All funded projects engage more youth other than just project leaders.
- The Youth Empowerment Stream will provide small grants from $2,500 – $5000.
- Funding in this stream will only be open to grassroots Indigenous youth groups consisting of a minimum of 2 youth.
- Eligible groups and projects include:
- Unincorporated/grassroots youth groups/collectives/councils comprised primarily of Indigenous youth
- Emerging, incorporated youth groups (note: CRE defines “emerging” as groups that have an operating budget of less than $50,000)
- Projects must serve primarily serve Indigenous youth
- Ineligible groups and projects:
- Individuals and/or projects that are not led by 2+ Indigenous youth
- Projects that are not youth-led (or where the majority of the leadership is 30+)
- Non-Indigenous groups and organizations
- Groups that have received more than $10,000 in funding from CRE over the past 12 months
- Projects taking place outside of Canada
- For-profit corporations
For more information, visit Canadian Roots Exchange (CREation).