The U.S. Embassy Nur-Sultan Public Affairs Section is pleased to announce a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the following program: EducationUSA Virtual Student Advisor – Aktau to increase student mobility between Kazakhstan and the United States, the U.S. Department of State currently operates EducationUSA advising centers in Almaty, Karaganda, Nur-Sultan, and Shymkent.
EducationUSA is a network of over 400 international student advising centers in more than 170 countries. The network promotes U.S. higher education to students around the world by offering accurate, comprehensive, and current information about opportunities to study at accredited postsecondary institutions in the United States. In addition, EducationUSA assists the U.S. higher education community in their overseas enrollment outreach and recruitment strategies and provides information on the complex U.S. higher education system to foreign governments and institutions.
This funding opportunity seeks to expand EducationUSA’s services in Kazakhstan to better serve the needs of students in Aktau, Mangystau, and all of Western Kazakhstan. Building on the success of virtual advising activities that were delivered for students throughout Kazakhstan during the COVID-19 pandemic, EducationUSA advising in Aktau will be carried out virtually. A transition to some in-person advising services may be considered in the future.
Project Goal: Increase the number of Kazakhstani students studying in the United States by providing students in Aktau, Mangystau, and other areas in Western Kazakhstan access to U.S. higher education opportunities.
- Ensure students have access to accurate, comprehensive, and current information about opportunities to study at accredited postsecondary institutions in the United States.
- Establish and encourage network building between departing student, returning student and alumni grantees.
Estimated Award Ceiling: $15,500
Estimated Award Floor: $10,000
Length of Project Period: One year
Target audiences in Aktau, Mangystau, and Western Kazakhstan are:
- high school students preparing for college and interested in attending higher education institutions in the United States, as well as their parents;
- high school teachers, administrators, and guidance counselors;
- current college students who seek to transfer to a U.S. institution or to study abroad short-term at a U.S. institution; and
- students seeking information and assistance applying to graduate programs in the United States.
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Civil society/non-governmental organizations
- Think tanks
- Public and private educational institutions
- Organizations may sub-contract with other entities, but only one, non-profit, non-governmental entity can be the prime recipient of the award. When sub-contracting with other entities, the responsibilities of each entity must be clearly defined in the proposal.
For more information, visit https://kz.usembassy.gov/educationusa-virtual-student-advisor-aktau/