The GET.invest has announced a call for applications for the Finance Catalyst Grant Program to provide advisory support in the areas of investment strategy, business case structuring, and accessing finance.
The GET.invest Finance Catalyst links projects and companies to financiers. It targets small- and medium-scale sustainable energy opportunities in sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific region.
The support of the GET.invest Finance Catalyst is available to applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Investment Size and Generation Capacity: Only projects and businesses with a cumulative generation capacity between 0.5-50 MW or aggregated investments in the range of €250,000 to €70 million are eligible.
- Focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency: The major part of the scope must be a renewable energy system investment or energy efficiency equivalent, including clean cooking, storage and appliances. Hybrid systems with a reasonable share of renewable generation capacity are also eligible.
- Business models: Supported models may comprise electricity generation, electricity distribution (in the case of mini-grids and stand-alone systems), mechanical energy and industrial / process heat or cooling, as well as clean cooking and appliance products in the off-grid sector. (Green) Hydrogen, pure storage projects and e-mobility projects are eligible. Likewise, energy digital/smart-data systems developers can benefit from the support. Transmission projects or biofuels are not eligible.
- Revenue generating: Proposals must be conceptualised as revenue-generating and meet a minimum economic viability and sustainability threshold.
- Location: Applicants must be located in (or proceeds to be used in) sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and/or the Pacific region.
- Focus on private sector: Eligible applicants may be private sector developers (local and international), NGOs, universities, parastatal companies, government or research institutions. Ultimately, projects will need to have a significant private-sector ownership (or equivalent) to allow for financing with debt or equity, possibly combined with other funding such as grants or public-sector contributions. Such private-sector engagement can be developed during the advisory support.
Applications will be reviewed by two independent experts in the team. In their assessment, the experts look for the following:
- Commercial viability: does this project offer a real value proposition?
- Technical viability: does this project work technically?
- Management: can this team achieve their plans?
- Financial viability: can this project generate a return for investors?
- Project maturity: where is the project on the continuum of project development?
- Added value: Can the GET.invest Finance Catalyst add value to the realisation of this project?
For more information, visit https://www.get-invest.eu/finance-catalyst/apply/