The Sumitomo Foundation offers this grant program so that cultural properties outside Japan, which are the common heritage of humankind, may be handed down to future generations.
- Total budget for fiscal 2020: ¥35,000,000.
- Number of projects to be selected: Approximately 15.
- Duration of Grant One (1) year, March 2021-March 2022.
Eligible Projects for Application
- Projects for the protection, preservation & restoration of cultural properties (i.e., fine arts or historical monuments) outside Japan, which are tangible, old and artistically or academically valuable, and ought to be handed down to future generations.
- Preliminary surveys immediately linked up with the projects as mentioned.
Qualifications of Applicants
- Applicants shall be the owners or administrators of the cultural properties or researchers who will actually conduct preliminary surveys.
- The following are not eligible in principle:
- profit-making corporations;
- Individuals who own cultural properties for profit or whose cultural properties are for private use only.
- Applications for this grant will be reviewed for selection by the Selection Committee of The Sumitomo Foundation. The Board of Directors of The Sumitomo Foundation, scheduled to meet in March 2021, will give the final approval in the selection of the projects eligible for this grant.
- Results of the selection will be reported to applicants by airmail. Please note that The Sumitomo Foundation is unable to respond to any inquiries regarding the reasons for selection.
- In some cases, The Sumitomo Foundation’s staff may make inquiries in person, by E-mail or facsimile concerning applications during such review for selection.
- The personal information provided in the application is to be used strictly for the purpose of selection as well as notification of the results of selection to the applicants. Please note, however, that the name of grantees (successful applicants), his/her affiliation, title, project name and grant amount will be announced to the public in due course.
- The Application and letter of recommendation shall be written in English and/or Japanese.
- The amount applied for shall be in Japanese yen or in U.S. Dollars. (The grant will be transmitted to your account either in Japanese yen or U.S. Dollars as applied for.)
- None of the application documentations or other materials submitted will be returned to applicants.
- After receipt of applications by The Sumitomo Foundation, confirmation letters or E-mails will be sent to applicants. To confirm safe receipt, please contact The Sumitomo Foundation.
For more information, visit http://www.sumitomo.or.jp/e/kaigai/outside.htm