The Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, Office of Assistance Coordination (NEA/AC), seeks applications to strengthen American-style IHE in Iraq.
Funds are available to support projects with potential to promote this objective through activities that improve the capacity of the institution to provide degree programs for Iraqi students, incorporating high academic standards and progressive curricula; enhance critical thinking and problem solving skills; promote tolerance of different opinions and beliefs to foster community resilience and development; provide students from diverse religious, ethnic, and geographic backgrounds with professional skills that enable them to be engaged members of their field and citizens of their state; and develop facilities to provide employment counseling, and career development services to assist graduates’ transitions from academic to professional roles.
A successful project must include, but does not need to be limited to:
- Improvement in institutional capacity, as evidenced by:
- New or enhanced partnerships and linkages with U.S. or regional IHE(s) that offer American-style curriculum;
- Increased student body recruitment, retention, and diversity, consistent with Iraq’s religious, ethnic, gender, and geographic diversity;
- New and improved offerings to support student performance and post-graduate employment.
- Demonstrable progress toward accreditation by U.S. and Iraqi accrediting organizations.
- Clear, demonstrable efforts to support women, as evidenced by:
- Targeted recruitment initiatives to increase the number of women enrolled in Iraqi IHEs;
- Development of fields of study, course offerings and/or majors related to gender issues;
- New or improved services to increase retention and graduation rates of female students; and/or,
- Enhanced career development services for women that overcome unique challenges to meaningful participation in the economy.
- Estimated Total Program Funding: $11,000,000
- Award Ceiling: $2,500,000
- Award Floor: $500,000
- Estimated Length of Project Period: 12-24 Months
Eligible applicants include:
- American-style Institution of Higher Education in Iraq that is non-state sponsored.
- Meet ALL of the registration requirements.
There is no minimum or maximum percentage required for this competition. However, NEA/AC encourages applicants to provide maximum levels of cost sharing and funding in support of its programs
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=340333