The Heinz Endowments has announced a call for proposals for the Small Arts Initiative to advance the development of small, professional arts organizations and the artists with whom they work.
- Advance a particular organization or collective of artists/organizations’ ability to carry out welldefined artistic opportunities or challenges, thus encouraging the development of local organizations, technical staff and professional artists.
- The annual production of a local company.
- Guest artists or technical personnel engaged to work with company members in the context of preparing for a public presentation or new work.
- Commissioning and/or presenting an ensemble or artist who will enrich the cultural landscape.
- Artistic expenses that are important to a pivotal project.
- Eligible arts organizations should demonstrate an existing organizational structure and artistic product that is proven or shows signs of promise. Minimally in place must be:
- An active, functioning board of directors.
- Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) public charity status, in place or applied for.
- An identified leader for the organization, paid or volunteer.
- A partnership of, at minimum, two artists working together for a performance, exhibition or screening around a theme.
- An artist or arts administrator collaborating with a group of advisors to present the work of multiple artists around a theme.
- An established, but unincorporated, arts organization consisting of multiple artists.
- Must be a well-matched 501(c)(3) organization with a clear, mission-driven relationship to, or interest in, the project or members of the collaboration.
- Must be persuasive in its preparedness to provide administrative and technical support, offer artistic support when appropriate, oversee the receipt and expenditure of grant funds, and, in general, provide proof that it is exercising control of the project.
For more information, visit https://www.heinz.org/strategic-areas/creativity/small-arts-initiative