The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) in alliance with CONNECTAS has opened this call aimed at freelance journalists or journalists working with media outlets in Latin America and the Caribbean, to encourage in-depth, high-impact stories that expose the abuses in the region and hold the powerful accountable.
What Would Applicants’ Get?
- Editorial alliance:
- Selected proposals will be developed with CONNECTAS under an Editorial alliance. Applicants will receive personalized support from an editor of the Editorial Board, who will assist from the beginning of the project until the story is published.
- If applicants’ proposal is selected, they will receive funds to cover research expenses and professional expenses.
- Regional Level Dissemination:
- Applicants’ work will be published in CONNECTAS, the main platform in the promotion of collaborative journalism in Latin America and in the Informative Community’s allied media.
- Journalistic Community:
- Once the project has been published, participants may be part of CONNECTAS’ Journalistic Community, made up of colleagues from all Latin America and the Caribbean.
Delivery of Funds
- Funds will be awarded according to the proposal country, the project’s budget, and the scope of the project:
- Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Uruguay (up to US $2.300);
- Bolivia, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, and Venezuela (up to the US $3.000);
- English-speaking countries in the Caribbean and Haiti (the US $3.000);
- Proposals with a higher amount will be considered, as long as it is required travel or reporting in two or more countries. These projects will have a prior validation of the budget.
- A four-month term to develop the story will begin from the moment of acceptance of the project, while administrative arrangements for the first payment take place.
- The amount for each project, as per the budget, will be divided into several payments according to the progress of the investigation. The first one is to be delivered at the moment of acceptance of the proposal and by signing the agreement of this call.
- Costs of banking transactions will be assumed by the beneficiary.
- Being a freelance journalist or in media outlets with a minimum of four years’ experience.
- Be in a continental country of Latin America (except Brazil), or in an English-speaking country of the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Haiti.
- The submitted application must include links to recently published stories, preferably research, in-depth work, or reports.
- The proposal must be written in Spanish, English, or French.
- Submitted applications will only be accepted via the platform of Matrix CONNECTAS.
- Applicants cannot have an ongoing scholarship with the ICFJ or CONNECTAS.
For more information, visit https://www.connectas.org/call-journalistic-projects-icfj-connectas-2021/