The Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) has announced Community Water Development Fund 2022 to support communities in progressing water related projects and initiatives, delivering benefits locally whilst also helping to meet the objectives of the River Basin Management Plan for Ireland and the wider EU Water Framework Directive.
Your local community or voluntary group can now apply for a grant under the Community Water Development Fund 2022. This Fund helps local communities deliver projects and initiatives that enhance the local water environment, delivering multiple benefits for biodiversity and climate action. The Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) administers the Fund on behalf of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage. It is open to all community and voluntary groups to apply.
This fund is open to all community and voluntary groups in the Republic of Ireland to assist in the protection and management of water quality, both locally and in the wider catchment. This can include the development of a catchment partnership or River/Lake Trust, and delivery of local projects to protect and improve water quality in a local waterbody.
This fund will enable communities to get more involved in the stewardship of their local water environment, delivering multiple benefits for present and future generations. The fund is administered by the Local Authority Waters Programme on behalf of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.
- Large Scale Projects: Three sub-pilot schemes from across the regions will be selected from Priority Areas for Action (PAA). The three pilot schemes will promote the integrated catchment approach and will be led by local communities.
- Medium Scale Projects: These projects will include capital works. Priority will be given to projects in Blue Dot (high status objective) areas or Priority Areas for Action.
- Small Scale Projects: These projects will provide a ‘community gain or benefit’ relevant to good water stewardship. They can target local awareness raising or relevant water issues, develop ‘pride in a waterbody’ or undertake small scale works. Projects must take a catchment approach which is led by local communities.
- €500 – €5,000
Total funding available under the Community Water Development Fund Open Call 2021 is capped at €360,000. Minimum grant awarded for successful projects will be €500 up to a maximum of €25,000.
Types of Projects
- Capital Projects
- Public Awareness/Education/Event
- General Amenity (with a water focus)
- The funding scheme is open to not-for-profit Community and Voluntary Groups; Rural Networks; Urban Networks; Environmental Non-Government Organisations, Clubs, Associations or other appropriate bodies located in the Republic of Ireland ONLY.
- Applicants with a grant approved in 2020 which is not fully drawn down may NOT apply.
For more information, visit https://lawaters.ie/community-water-development-fund-2022-now-open/