The Jamaica Social Investment Fund (JSIF) on behalf of the Government of Jamaica with funding from the World Bank invites applications for business proposals that may qualify for technical assistance for business plan development, and eventually to co-financing or matching grant support under the Second Rural Economic Development Initiative (REDI II) project under the component 1 – “Climate Resilient Agriculture and Community Tourism Investments for Rural Enterprises”.
Component 1: The main objective of this component will be to promote the development of agricultural/community tourism enterprises (integrated in productive partnerships or “alliances”), to help them overcome their existing limitations to operate more competitively in selected value chains, with more reliable linkages with buyers and markets and increased capacity to manage climate risks.
Component 1 Activities
- Counter-seasonal Production Methods e.g. green houses for vegetable crop production;
- Health, Safety and Security Measures in Light of COVID-19;
- Virtual, Digital or Technology Enhanced Products, Marketing or Service Delivery;
- Value added production and Value Chain Development e.g. Honey bottling and value-added honey products;
- Business Planning, Mentorship & Coaching;
- Community Tourism Enterprises (Agro Tourism, Nature or Eco Tourism, Cultural Heritage Tourism);
- Technical Assistance and Capacity Building to include Required Training;
- Fisheries Development e.g. equipment and fish cleaning or filleting facility;
- Small Ruminant Production such as goats and sheep e.g. breeding stock improvement;
- Introduction of Alternative Energy Sources (solar panels) to improve production efficiency and reduce energy costs;
- Introduction of New Crop Varieties and Innovative Production Methods;
- Post-harvest Facilities / Cool Storage Infrastructure;
- Water Harvesting and Drip Irrigation Systems.
- The average investment amount is JM$35,000,000.00.
- Applications should be from eligible organizations e.g. Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Cooperatives, Benevolent Societies, Non-Governmental Organizations, Tour Operators or other Limited Liability Companies, Tourism Cluster Associations, Producer Organizations.
- NB: Applications from individuals and private companies are not eligible. However, projects that demonstrate collaboration between communities and private sector are encouraged.
- Proposed projects should have an identified and defined market and demonstrate economic & financial feasibility and have the potential to enhance climate resilience.
- Applying groups are encouraged to have a composition of at least 40% women and or 30% youth.
- Applications that request construction or rehabilitation of a building must attach to the application form copy of proof of ownership or lease agreement.
- Applying groups must contribute at least 5% to 60% of amount being requested in cash.
- Apply using the REDI II Application Form or Online.
For more information, visit https://www.jsif.org/content/call-proposals