Microsoft is inviting applications to support projects that use AI to change the way people and organizations monitor, model, and manage Earth’s natural systems.
Areas of Focus
- Climate: The changing climate threatens human health, infrastructure, and natural systems. AI can give people more accurate climate predictions to help reduce the potential impacts.
- Agriculture: By 2050, farmers must produce more food, on less arable land, and with less environmental impact to feed the world’s increasing population. AI can help people monitor the health of farms in real time.
- Biodiversity: Species are going extinct at an alarming rate. AI can help accelerate the discovery, monitoring, and protection of biodiversity across their planet.
- Water: In the next two decades, demand for fresh water is predicted to dramatically outpace supply. AI can help people model Earth’s water supply to help them conserve and protect fresh water.
By being a member of the AI for Earth grantee community, you also have access to additional resources – technical advice and support, online Azure training materials, and invitations to the AI for Earth Summit for networking and education opportunities.
- Azure compute credit grants provide you with Azure credits worth $5,000, $10,000, or $15,000, depending on your project scope, to start using Azure AI tools and cloud computing with your existing labeled dataset.
- Applicants can be affiliated with an academic institution, nonprofit organization, government entity, environmental startup, or innovative project within a company.
- For the Azure compute grants, they recommend that the main applicant has a demonstrated background in environmental science and/or technology, and that at least one member of the team has strong enough technical skills to complete the project successfully.
- Applicants should be close to or done with their data collection and ready to start with computation and model building.
For more information, visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/ai-for-earth-grants