The Third Wave Fund is accepting applications for its Mobilize Power Fund, which is a rapid response fund that supports the leadership of young women of color, trans, gender non-conforming, queer, and intersex youth under 35 in social movements.
The Third Wave Fund launched this fund because powerful movements need the ability to respond to and heal from immediate threats and opportunities with flexible and responsive funding opportunities.
- Grants can be made for up to $10,000 USD. Larger grants may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Partnership or coalitions of two or more groups can request up to $20,000 USD.
This Fund May Support
- Actions against criminalization and violence.
- Urgent community organizing or direct action.
- Unanticipated legislative or ballot initiative campaigns.
- Leadership training or participatory action research.
- Healing and healing justice work.
- Legal or bail fees.
- Marches or rallies.
- Conflict mediation/resolution.
This Fund Does Not Support
- Budget shortfalls.
- Ongoing, regularly scheduled programs.
- Start-up or general operating costs.
- Previously planned or long-term campaigns.
- Youth Leadership: Young women of color and/or trans, gender non-conforming, intersex activists, and/or queer youth under 35 are a core part of planning and decision-making processes. Campaigns, efforts, or organizations are led by and for communities impacted by the event or situation applicants are responding to.
- Gender Justice Focus: Applicants’ political analysis and project show how the issue(s) they’re responding to address or are connected to patriarchy, transphobia, homophobia, gender inequity, or gender-based violence.
- Community Power Building: Applicant proposal’s strategies and activities help build power for youth-led gender justice activism, organizing, and/or healing in their communities, and are connected to the goal(s), outcome(s), and/or changes they want as a result of proposed actions.
- Urgency or Time-Sensitivity: The event or situation applicants are responding to was unanticipated; require urgent or timely action, and/or leverages recent attention or media coverage.
- Organizational Need: The Fund will prioritize organizations with budgets under $500,000 and that are based in areas with limited access to philanthropic resources.
- Coalitions, informal groups, and nonprofit organizations.
- Organizations do not need a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status or a fiscal sponsor to receive funding. The Fund makes this clear to strongly encourage grassroots organizations, groups, and collectives led by and for young people of color and low-income communities to apply.
For more information, visit https://www.thirdwavefund.org/mobilize-power-fund.html