The Niwano Peace Foundation (NPF) is seeking applications for its Activity Grant program under the theme “Dialogue and collaboration in divided societies”. The foundation expects activities that tackle the problems presented by such divisions through dialogue and collaboration, undertaken on the subjective initiative of those affected by said divisions rather than outsiders or external intervention.
NFP believes that one of the primary factors obstructing peace is divisions within society and between peoples. Divisions within society and between peoples indicate isolation through estrangement, disengagement, and insularity among people who should originally be united or together, which are caused by internal and external reasons.
NPF promotes interreligious understanding and cooperation. It also strives to strengthen cooperation among people actively making continuing efforts, in a religious spirit, to achieve a peaceful society.
- The grant amount which one applicant can apply will be up to 1,000,000 Japanese Yen. (For foreign applicant, the grant amount which one can apply will be up to some USD equivalent to 1,000,000 Japanese Yen).
Fields for Support
Grant will be provided for activities as described in items 1 or 2 below;
- Social activities based on the spirit of religious principles:
- Social activities based on the spirit of religious principals are defined as those undertaken for individual and community welfare and peace, both physical and spiritual, based on the spirit of religious principles that emerge from reverence for God, Buddha, or other universal spiritual reality.
- Grass-roots activities deployed in a local community:
- Activities to vitalize local communities through interdisciplinary workshops and meetings with particular emphasis on collaboration by groups and individuals from diverse organizations and religious groups.
Activity for Support
- Project/Activity eligible for support:
- Activities which are consistent with the theme of NPF’s activity grant for fiscal year 2019
- Practical activities, short-term or long-term, directly related to peace building.
- Activities which stimulate activities not only in one’s own field but as well in other fields and can be creative and pioneering models for realization of peace.
- Project/Activity ineligible for support:
- Activities undertaken for the benefit of a specific religious group.
- Activities based on or for the advancement of a specific political ideology.
- Activities for profit.
- Activities the purpose of which is holding conferences only as such.
- Projects for which the applicant’s primary intention is to publish the results of activities.
- Grants are not scholarships as such, and are not to be used as financial support for Study abroad.
- An application may be made by either an individual or an organization.
- Nationality is not a criterion for eligibility.
- Any group which has been in continuous existence for a reasonable length of time is eligible to apply, whether or not it is legally incorporated.
For more information, visit https://www.npf.or.jp/english/grant/guidelines_application_forms