The Prince Claus Fund is excited to issue the 2022 open call for the Prince Claus Seed Awards.
The Prince Claus Fund annually recognizes 100 emerging artists and cultural practitioners within the first five years of their careers with Prince Claus Seed Awards.
Through the Prince Claus Seed Awards they support the career development, creativity and experimentation of emerging artists and cultural practitioners around the globe.
With this open call for the Prince Claus Seed Awards they would like to invite emerging artists and cultural practitioners who live and work in their eligible countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Eastern Europe to apply for this award.
The Prince Claus Seed Awards are aimed at emerging artists and cultural practitioners who:
- Are on average in the initial 1 to 5 years of their professional career (study years not included);
- Have an innovative and interesting artistic practice that addresses pressing social/political issues important within their local context;
- Have received little to no recognition/support for their artistic/cultural practices, and are not yet recognized internationally.
They especially encourage individuals with experimental artistic practices that:
- Represent minority groups and marginalized communities within society;
- Create safe spaces for young artists, makers and participants;
- Generate participation and empower local communities to express themselves freely;
- Propose new narratives and futures on histories, particularly those censored or marginalized for political, religious, cultural, or economic reasons;
- Enable exchange, cooperation and knowledge sharing related to the current global environmental crisis;
- Creatively and confidently challenge gender norms.
The Prince Claus Fund offers 100 Awards to emerging artists and cultural practitioners, who each receive €5.000 to develop their cultural practice.
Activities and expenses directly aimed at the further development of artistic practices could, for example, include (but are not limited to):
- Participation in residency programmes, festivals, workshops, etc.;
- Development of a personal project;
- Investment in ongoing work.
- Support is only given to individuals living and working in their eligible countries.
- Individuals applying for the call must both be from and living in of one of these countries.
- The Prince Claus Seed Awards are awarded on a one-time-only basis; successful awardees are not eligible for another Prince Claus Seed Awards;
- Only individual artists and cultural practitioners are eligible to apply. Collectives, groups and organisations are not eligible for the Prince Claus Seed Awards.
- They do not accept applications from individuals whose work:
- revolves around academic research;
- is purely developmental (and not cultural);
- Is not societally engaged. (They only support cultural practitioners who are dedicated to addressing contextually relevant societal topics or issues through their work).
For more information, visit https://princeclausfund.org/open-calls/open-call-prince-claus-seed-awards-2022