The Health Forward Foundation is requesting for proposals for the 2021 Safety Net Grant Program to provide leadership, advocacy, and resources to eliminate barriers and promote quality health for the uninsured and underserved.
Applicants are required to categorize their request as one of the following:
- Project Support is funding for a specific, connected set of activities with a defined beginning and end date, explicit objectives/ outcomes, and predetermined costs.
- Projects must be new or significantly modified from ongoing operations and must meet guidelines outlined in the Safety Net request for proposal.
- This funding category is also appropriate for organizations providing ongoing services that have been in place less than three years.
- Allowable expenses include costs such as salaries, equipment, supplies, and other expenses directly related to the project.
- Program Support is funding for a specific, connected set of ongoing, long-term activities or services with explicit objectives/outcomes, and predetermined costs.
- Allowable expenses include costs such as salaries, equipment, supplies, and other expenses directly related to the program.
- This funding category is for organizations that provide ongoing services that meet guidelines outlined in the Safety Net request for proposal.
- Available for services that are well-established and have been in place for at least three years.
- Core Support is the working capital that nonprofit organizations need to sustain their day-to-day operations. This funding supports ongoing operations and represents the maintenance or expansion of core functions of an organization.
- Access: Timely use of personal health care services to achieve the best health outcomes.
- Quality: Health care that is patient centered and integrated across conditions, providers, and settings. Care is delivered in a way that is safe, timely, effective, efficient, and equitable.
- Cost: Quality health care reduces overall health care costs through improvements.
- A total of $4.5 million is available for 2021 Safety Net funding. Health Forward expects to grant up to $3 million to organizations with multi-year plans approved in 2019. Additionally, at least $1.5 million is available to fund new proposals, for an overall total of $4.5 million.
- All Safety Net Grants awarded in 2021 will be for a period of no more than 12 months.
- Kansas – Allen County, Johnson County, and Wyandotte County
- Missouri – Cass County, Jackson County, Lafayette County, and Kansas City, Missouri
- Health Forward relies on the internal knowledge of the field, the community, the history with applicants, and grantee performance to inform decisions during the internal review process. Health Forward consults with external reviewers from outside the service area to provide expertise and unbiased feedback on foundation defined grant proposals.
- Ultimately, Health Forward staff and leadership make the final decision on grant recommendations. These recommendations will be approved or declined by vote of the full Health Forward Board of Directors.
- Health Forward reserves the right to reject proposals submitted; to request additional information or clarification from any or all applicants; and/or negotiate changes with applicants at any time before, during, or after the award process. Grant awards are made at the sole discretion of the foundation. No entitlement to funding for any organization at any level is expressed or implied. Successful applicants enter into a contract that gives Health Forward rights to review and evaluate grant-funded activities.
For more information, visit https://healthforward.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2021-Safety-Net.pdf