Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 5 years of demonstrable professional experience in the audio-visual industry. Applicants must have developed and produced 1 to 2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, documentaries, or 2-3 short films and/or commercials.
Folktales have always played an important role in the heritage of a culture, passing down values, knowledge, and customs from one generation to the next. Knowledge that builds communities, nations and unites the world in shared understanding and experience. They believe Africa’s rich history of storytelling, from universal tales to hyper-local fables, provides a fertile ground for creative retelling.
This is an opportunity to reimagine the relevance of these tales to the contemporary society and extend them to the world stage on-screen: a celebration of Africa’s profoundly varied culture, folklore, and heritage. This competition invites submissions from emerging filmmakers across Sub-Saharan Africa on the theme of “African Folktales, Reimagined”.
They believe that a great story can come from anywhere, and be loved everywhere. Africa has a rich heritage of storytelling and a young population that is ready to step up and tell Africa’s stories, in all their multiplicity. They’re excited by the fresh new voices that are ready to tell the stories they were told by prior generations, to the world.
Netflix has partnered with UNESCO to launch a short film competition, “African Folktales, Reimagined,” to find the bravest, wittiest, and most surprising retellings of some of Africa’s most-loved folktales. They can’t wait to see what you’ve got.
- Each of the 6 winners will receive a production grant of US$75,000 to develop, shoot, and post-produce their films which will be administered by a nominated local production agency. Within each film’s budget, teams must ensure that filmmakers and everyone involved in the production is fairly paid.
- In addition, each of the 6 winners will receive $25,000.
- You are under 35 years old
- You are a citizen and resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- You are a filmmaker with limited experience, but have developed and produced 1- to 2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, documentaries, or 2-3 short films and/or commercials seeking to venture into feature film development and production.
For more information, visit https://www.netflix-growcreative.com/unesco/