The Somerset Community Foundation is seeking applications to support homeless people to move into independent living.
Last year, the foundation published Hidden Somerset: Homelessness, which showed that:
- Hundreds, if not thousands, of people, continue to sleep rough or live in insecure housing across the county.
- Very few grants are awarded to charities and community groups working directly with homeless people.
- Government funding for the sector had dropped dramatically.
Those who are homeless are also particularly vulnerable to coronavirus. This is because they are more likely to have underlying health conditions and find it more difficult to access basic sanitation
- They have £100,000 to award.
- Grants will last for two years, with the second-year payment conditional on a short interim report.
- The average grant we expect to award is £10,000.
Who can apply?
The Fund is open to:
- community groups.
- social enterprises.
- other not-for-profit organizations
They expect applicants to have:
- A board of trustees or a management committee with at least three unrelated members.
- A bank account in the group’s name with at least two signatories.
- Appropriate policies and insurances, including safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.
Who can’t apply?
They cannot support individuals directly. They also cannot award a grant that is then distributed to individuals as financial support.
They will not support:
- activities that are a statutory duty.
- activities that have already taken place.
- sponsorship or fundraising events.
- groups that have more than 12 months running costs in free reserves.
- promotion of religion (although secular ‘open-access’ programs led by faith-based groups can be considered).
How to Apply?
- Applications should be made via an online application form
- If you are unable to access the online form, then please contact them and they will support you to make your application in another way.
- The form allows you to save draft versions of your application and return to it later (via an email link sent to your inbox).
- The form requires you to complete a short series of questions about your group and your work. You will be asked to provide: the contact details of someone who can endorse your work if you are a new group, a simple budget, a list of your trustees or management committee members, including their addresses, a recent bank statement, your safeguarding policy.
Note that they do not cover North Somerset or Bath & North East Somerset.
For more information, visit https://www.somersetcf.org.uk/movein