The Sport New Zealand Rural Travel Fund is now open for applications to encourage participation in sports by people living in rural communities.
The Sport NZ Rural Travel Fund (RTF) was established in 2003 with the purpose being to “remove the barrier of cost to participation for those in rural communities”. In 2020-21 the RTF was allocated across 35 ‘provincial’ TAs in Aotearoa. The Rural Travel Fund (RTF) will be administered on Sport NZ’s behalf by thirty-five eligible Territorial Authorities (TAs) across Aotearoa.
The RTF is to provide quality sport opportunities and experiences for tamariki (children aged 5-11) and rangatahi (young people aged 12-18). They would ask that the TAs receiving RTF consider how they place an emphasis on providing sport experiences for:
- Girls and young women aged 5-18; and/or
- Disabled tamariki (5-11) and rangatahi (12-18)
Sport New Zealand Strategic Direction
In mapping their strategic direction to 2032, Sport New Zealand have introduced a new vision and purpose.
- Purpose: To contribute to the wellbeing of everybody in Aotearoa New Zealand by leading an enriching and inspiring Play, Active Recreation and Sport system
- Vision: Every Body Active
- In 2021-24 Sport NZ will allocate $444k to the 35 eligible TAs for distribution into their communities.
- Applications for funding from the Rural Travel Fund can be made by rural sport club teams and rural school club teams within the Territorial Authority region, with members aged between 5 and 18 years, who require financial assistance with transport costs so that they can participate in local sporting competitions and events.
- The following criteria will be applied by Territorial Authorities when considering applications for funding made by eligible teams.
- A rural school club team will be eligible for funding if it is participating in a regular local sports competition out of school time, which excludes interschool and intra-school competitions run during school time.
- A rural sports club team will be eligible for funding if it is participating in an organised, regular sports competition through club membership outside of school time.
- Please note: Funding will not be provided for, and may not be used for, the purpose of travel to regional or national sports competition.
For more information, visit Sport New Zealand.