Applications are now open for the Sport New Zealand Rural Travel Fund to help subsidise travel for junior teams participating in local sport competition.
The Sport NZ Rural Travel Fund was developed in response to concerns raised by Councils about the lack of participation in sport by young people living in rural communities. Geographical isolation, urban drift, lack of employment opportunities and access to mainstream funding were identified as barriers to sport participation.
It has been agreed by Sport NZ that the Rural Travel fund shall be targeted at young people aged between 5 and 19 years.
- Sport NZ requires organisations that receive funding to return an accountability form to Ashburton District Council showing proof of purchases made within that period and attach any receipts. Accountability forms must be returned by 30 June.
- Please note: If applicant organisations who have received assistance do not return their accountability forms, it will jeopardise any future funding. Applicants must be able to account for the total amount allocated.
- Application for the rural travel fund is open to rural sports clubs and rural school teams with young people aged between 5 and 19 years who require subsidies to assist with transport expenses to local sporting competitions.
- Please note: The rural travel fund is managed and administered by Ashburton District Council on behalf of Sport NZ.
- School club teams and sport club teams are defined as:
- A school club team participating in regular local sport competition out of school time, that excludes inter-school and intra-school competitions played during school time; and/or,
- A sports club team participating in organised, regular sport competition through club membership outside of school time.
The following criteria shall be applied when considering applications for funding:
- Organisations and schools with participants aged between 5 and 19 years playing sport for a club or school team who meet the eligibility criteria.
- Funding is not provided for the purpose of travel to regional or national events or sports competitions.
- Individual players, coaches and or officials are ineligible to apply for the fund.
- Funding is not provided to assist coaches, managers or officials travel costs.
For more information, visit Ashburton District Council.