Applications are now open for the Arts & Older People Programme to increase opportunities for older people to engage with the arts.
It achieved this by providing funding to arts-based projects that addressed related social issues such as poverty, isolation and loneliness, as well as promoting positive mental health.
The programme to date has made 164 awards to community groups, voluntary groups and arts organisations. Over £1.5 million has been invested in the Arts & Older People Programme.
The Arts & Older People Programme aims to strengthen the voice of older people and promote positive mental health and emotional wellbeing through the arts. In conjunction with the delivery partners the priority areas for this next round of funding are projects being delivered within care homes, carers and people living with dementia. The proposed projects should reflect the partnership approach with the care homes and have the support from them in the delivery.
Projects must meet one or more of the following strategic themes:
- Isolation and Loneliness:
- Providing opportunities for social interaction via arts-led activities
- Working with older people to combat feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- Social Inclusion
- Combating the social exclusion of older people through arts interventions that promote inclusion, free movement and sharing
- Working to create a more peaceful, fair and inclusive community that does not discriminate against age and ethnicity.
- Providing opportunities for older people living in disadvantaged/marginalised rural and urban areas to access and participate in arts activities
- Working to improve the quality of life of older people living in disadvantaged, marginalized and deprived areas of Northern Ireland.
- Health Issues/Dementia including Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing
- Provide opportunities for older people to participate in arts led activities which may help improve physical, mental and social wellbeing
- Working to promote positive mental health and wellbeing and provide opportunities for active ageing through participation in arts activities.
- Strengthening the Voice of Older People
- Provide opportunities for older people to develop skills which will strengthen their voice on issues that affect them. Providing artistic, professional and personal development skills
- Working to strengthen and develop the voice of older people particularly on issues that directly affect this section of society on a day-to-day basis.
Grants from £1,000 to £10,000 are available.
- The programme is aimed at constituted community and voluntary groups who are working at a local level to support older people and can demonstrate strong partnership working with care homes, carers and dementia groups.
- This programme is also open to non-governmental organisations, Local Authorities and arts organisations who can clearly demonstrate partnership working.
- They are looking for partnership or consortia based projects. Partnerships can be led by either age sector providers, arts organisations or Local Authorities, however the consortium must be made up of appropriate representatives and demonstrate a commitment to working together. Other specialists who work with older people may also be included as named partners in the consortium.
- Broadcasters (excluding community service broadcasters)
- Central Government Departments
- Organisations with statutory obligations to providing services for Older People
For more information, visit http://artscouncil-ni.org/funding/scheme/arts-older-people-programme