SUMERNET 4 All has announced a Call for Proposals on Small Grants for 2020 to provide financial and technical support through six types of grants to the network members and other collaborators that can contribute to SUMERNET 4 All’s mission.
SUMERNET is a regional research network and knowledge-based policy research programme. Under the present Phase 4 called SUMERNET 4 All (S4A), their mission is to “improve policies and practices in reducing water insecurity by conducting collaborative research, engaging in the policy process, and promoting scientifically sound research and innovation, incorporating gender and social equality, human rights, conflict sensitivity, environmental integrity and poverty reduction in the Mekong Region.
The Small Grant is one among six types of grants of SUMERNET, intended to support SUMERNET members and other partners in conducting various activities that improve the influence of SUMERNET research as listed below.
Small grants must be used for the activities that address at least one of the following S4A research themes:
- Water access, rights and allocation in times of water scarcity;
- Governance and management of water-related disaster risks;
- Transboundary interactions with water systems.
The project must also use a multi-disciplinary approach that considers gender and social equality, human rights, conflict sensitivity, governance and poverty reduction to reduce water insecurity for all, and in particular benefit the poor, marginalized and socially vulnerable groups of women and men in the Mekong Region.
The Small Grants can support the following types of activities:
- Hosting events for policy engagement, trans disciplinary dialogue, and knowledge-based policy development
- Participating in relevant academic, policy, media, or capacity building events to communicate research results
- Engaging/organizing events and consultations with key stakeholders such as policy makers, members of marginalized groups and/or women’s associations
- Exchange visits with other projects or teams for enhancing collaboration
- Supporting proposal development with participation of different organizations or countries
- Monitoring and evaluation of the outcomes and impacts of past projects funded by SUMERNET in previous phases
- The budget ceiling for each grant is between approximately US$ 3,000-5,000 USD/grant (SEK 30,000-50,000). 6-10 applications are expected to receive the grants in this round.
- Funds need to be spent within a period of 6 months.
Successful applications must fulfill following aspects:
- Focus on reducing water insecurity for all in particular, for poor, marginalized and socially vulnerable groups of women and men in the Mekong Region
- Proposed activities are in line with the scope of small grants
- Consider gender and social equality, conflict sensitivity, pro-poor and rights-based approaches are mainstreamed into the design and implementation of the proposed activity
- Have significant potential to lead to bigger impact in the future (e.g. policy impact, additional funding might be secured, demonstrate the changes from past research inspire other network members or researchers, expanded partnership, increased cooperation)
- The Lead Applicant must be a SUMERNET member and currently based in any of the Mekong countries. Applicants can apply to become a member, either before or on the date of proposal submission.
- Ability to manage the project and complete the activities within 6 months
- Applications led/co-led by women and involving female team members and boundary partners are strongly encouraged.
For more information, visit https://www.sumernet.org/blog/sumernet-4-all-call-for-proposals-on-small-grants-for-2020