The CFLI is a program designed to support small-scale, high-impact projects in developing countries, which align with Global Affairs Canada’s thematic priority areas for engagement. The program is directed at projects conceived and designed predominantly by local partners. Projects are selected and approved by the High Commission.
The CFLI also serves to support positive bilateral relations between Canada and recipient countries and their civil societies, by deepening contacts and supporting local endeavours.
All projects must align with at least 1 of the following CFLI thematic priorities:
- Inclusive governance, including diversity, democracy, human rights, and the rule of law.
- Peace and security, with a focus on conflict prevention and building peace.
- Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
- Human dignity, covering health, education, and nutrition.
- The growth that works for everyone, including women’s economic rights, decent jobs and entrepreneurship, investing in the poorest and most vulnerable, and safeguarding economic gains.
- Environment and climate action focusing on adaptation and mitigation, as well as on water management.
- The average CFLI contribution is $30,000 to $50,000 Canadian Dollars.
Eligible recipients include:
- Local, national, or community-based organization (non-governmental and not-for-profit).
- Local municipal, regional, or national government institution or agency of the recipient country.
- Local academic institution.
- Canadian organization (non-governmental or not-for-profit) that is working on local development activities.
- International or regional organization (non-governmental or not-for-profit) that is working on local development activities.
- The intergovernmental or multilateral institution, organization, or agency working on local development activities.
How to Apply
- All projects must be completed between the date of signature of the Contribution Agreement and February 28, 2022.
- The deadline for submission is February 28, 2021, at 23:59 (GMT+X). Applications submitted after this deadline will not be considered.
- Proposals should be submitted electronically.
- Only those proposals using the designated application form and including the required budget document will be considered.
- For more information on the types of activities and costs that are eligible for CFLI funding, please refer to the list of CFLI approved activities and costs.
- Proposals must be completed in English or French.
- Project proposals must explicitly answer all questions in the CFLI project application form, including the required gender-based analysis. The proposed project budget should summarize the proposed activities and associated costs.
- Applications will be assessed for approval on their merits by a selection committee.
- Due to a large number of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.
- To obtain an application form and the budget document or for questions about the application process, please contact the CFLI Coordinator by email.
- Both the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) 2021 Project Application for Funding Form and the Budget document must be submitted.
- Project applications are kept on file at the High Commission in accordance with Global Affairs Canada’s information management policies.
For more information, visit https://www.international.gc.ca/world-monde/funding-financement/cfli-fcil/2021/guyana_suriname.aspx?lang=eng