The United States Embassy in Kosovo announces an open competition for organizations to submit applications to carry out a program to improve the fact checking capacity of Kosovo journalists through technology partnerships and develop a better understanding regarding the influence of malign disinformation in Kosovo-based Albanian language media.
The objectives of this program are:
- To research and provide a baseline on the level of disinformation from malign actors in Kosovo’s Albanian language media space and their sources vs. misinformation due to lack of fact-checking
- Find ways to use existing Kosovo developed automated software solutions to assist Albanian language media partners in fact checking information and sources prior to sharing/amplifying, while using standardized attribution practices
- Provide training to journalists on how to identify and prevent dissemination of disinformation and avoid misinformation through fact-checking before sharing
- Total available funding: $100,000
- Award amounts: awards may range from a minimum of $50,000 to a maximum of $100,000
- Length of performance period: 8 to 12 months
- Number of awards anticipated: 1-2awards (dependent on amounts)
- Anticipated program start date: August 1, 2021
Participants and Audiences
- Primary audience for grant activities are Kosovo Albanian language media organization(s) and technology partner(s), and journalists. Audiences for the report on disinformation are policy makers, Kosovo media organizations, international organizations, journalism university students.
- Eligibility is limited to not-for-profit organizations (Nongovernmental Organizations (NGO’s), Independent media outlets, IT and Software organizations officially registered in the Republic of Kosovo.
- Successful proposals must have and include:
- A detailed plan to conduct a baseline assessment of misinformation/disinformation in Kosovo, malign sources, and information on how this is amplified vice the level of misinformation in Albanian language media due to lack of fact checking
- Training, innovative engagements, and messaging campaigns to inform Kosovo media partners, the government, and other audiences about the results of this assessment.
- Partnerships with Kosovo based technology partner(s) that have developed automated software to identify source content for potential mis/disinformation and assist outlets with fact checking before amplifying/sharing.
- Training activities for Kosovo Albanian language journalists to train them to use automated software and how to implement better screening for misinformation/disinformation in their newsrooms.
- Proposals should include appropriate funds for the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of program successes and challenges, and a detailed description of how M&E will be carried out and program success will be determined, including a logic frame and a list of outputs and outcomes expected.
- Proposals should detail a robust media plan, and winning applicants should plan to share their online activities/posts with the Embassy’s Public Affairs Section (PAS).
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=332653