The U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City of the U.S. Department of State invites Vietnamese alumni of U.S. Government-funded (USG) exchange programs to submit proposals for the 2021 Alumni Small Grants Competition.
These grants aim to create opportunities for alumni to work together on a shared vision of a brighter future for Vietnam and the U.S.-Vietnam relationship by addressing shared concerns.
Proposals must explicitly address one or more of the priority objectives listed below:
- Economic Prosperity: Improved opportunities for U.S. businesses, labor standards, soft skills development to work with U.S. businesses, reduction of the bilateral trade deficit, intellectual property rights, promotion of U.S. products, or U.S. business values.
- Security: Rule of law, combatting transnational crime, combatting trafficking in persons, improving relations with the Vietnamese diaspora community.
- Education: English teaching, teaching methods improvement, curriculum development, education systems modernization, Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM).
- Inclusiveness: Women’s rights and empowerment, access and legal reform for disabled persons, LGBT rights, ethnic/religious minorities’ rights, civil society development.
- Fundamental Freedoms: Freedom of expression, press, association, religion.
- Sustainable Development: Mekong-U.S. Partnership (MUSP), environmental standards, climate mitigation, and adaptation.
- Length of performance period: up to 12 months.
- A number of awards anticipated: up to 3 awards (dependent on amounts).
- Award amounts: awards may range from a minimum of $1,000 to a maximum of $10,000.
- Total available funding: up to $30,000.
Participants & Audiences
- The target audience for successful projects is 15-40 years old.
Eligible teams must include at least three alumni members who have participated in one of the following U.S. Government-sponsored programs, including (but not limited to):
- Fulbright Program (including the Fulbright Economics Teaching Program – FETP).
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program.
- International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP).
- International Visitor Program on Demand (former Voluntary Visitor Program).
- Programs under the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), e.g.: ASEAN Youth Volunteer Program (AYVP); the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), e.g., Borlaug.
- Eisenhower Fellowship Program.
- Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (UGRAD).
- Studies of the U.S. Institute (SUSI).
- English Language Programs (English Access Micro scholarships, AE-Teachers, Brunei-U.S. Partnership, Access Teacher Exchange Program).
- Teacher Excellence Awards (TEA).
- Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) programs (Professional and Academic Fellows, regional exchanges, YSEALI Summer School).
- Southeast Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP).
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=330691