UNICEF is seeking proposals to identify eligible Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) for prospective partnerships supporting the delivery of the UNICEF implemented component of the EU4Moldova: Focal Regions programme on “Strengthening capacities, development and empowerment of Adolescents and Youth in Cahul and Ungheni regions.”
UNICEF is the agency of the United Nations, mandated to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.
As per the Convention on the Rights of the Child, adolescents have the right to be heard in individual decisions concerning their education, skill training and work, and in collective decisions related to school governance and educational policies and laws.
In the Republic of Moldova, access to local youth participatory structures, such as Youth Councils or Pupils’ Councils, is limited in many districts and particularly inaccessible in the rural areas. The ability of adolescents and youth to participate in democratic governance is affected by the lack of awareness of, and opportunities to participate, limited access to existing participation mechanisms, the exclusion of disadvantaged youth groups and insufficient funding for the Youth Councils that hampers participation.
Specifically, the intervention will focus on strengthening the capacity, development and empowerment of adolescents and youth in Cahul and Ungheni, as well as improve access to sustainable, quality adolescents and youths’ friendly programmes and services. The specific objectives of the action are to:
- Support local policies that promote civic engagement and mobilize children and young people to participate in decision making processes;
- Strengthen the capacity of the Local Youth Councils and Youth Centers to effectively and efficiently deliver services to young people in Ungheni and Cahul.
- The maximum budget allocated for activities in both regions (Cahul and Ungheni), under this call for expression of interest is 154,000 EUR.
Within this framework and as set out in the Government of Moldova and UNICEF Country Programme for 2018-2022, and in the 2020-2021 Work Plans signed between UNICEF and the Government of Moldova, the expected results are:
RESULT 1 (linked to Objective 1)
- Adolescents and youth organizations, as well as child rights stakeholders actively and effectively participate in discussion forums to define priorities in both municipalities;
- Mainstream youth participation in local youth policies, programmes, acts and decisions;
- Ungheni and Cahul youth participation is enhanced by the design and implementation of innovative, youth-friendly and modern mechanisms;
- Educational, cultural, sport and other sectoral policies and strategies are amended to reflect youth perspectives.
RESULT 2 (linked to Objective 2)
- Strengthened capacities of the Youth Centres from Cahul and Ungheni to deliver comprehensive youth-friendly services to adolescents;
- Local Youth Councils better design, budget and implement youth related programmes, as well as have improved fundraising capacities.
- Be registered in the Republic of Moldova, or local branches of International NGOs;
- Not be an entity named on any of the UN Security Council targeted;
- Not be affiliated to political parties.
For more information, visit https://sc.undp.md/tnddetails_un/2172/