Helpusadopt.org is fighting for hundreds of thousands of children around the globe who are in need of a safe, loving, permanent home.
- At this time, they award a total of $150,000 per grant cycle. Each Grant award is between $500 – $15,000.
- The amount awarded is determined based on the amount requested and demonstrated need.
- The amount requested will not affect the decision to award a grant.
- At least one applicant must be a US citizen
- Must have a completed, approved, and current home study
- Must not be pregnant, trying to conceive, or pursuing infertility treatments simultaneously with your adoption
- Must demonstrate significant financial obstacles and the need for financial assistance. There is a distinction between “not wanting” to write the check(s) and “not being able to”.
- If the adoption has been finalized, or the child has been placed in your home, you are no longer eligible (exceptions made for adoptions through foster care).
- Applicants must exhibit a commitment to adoption, and will continue with the adoption regardless of whether or not they obtain a grant from Helpusadopt.org
- Applicants must be associated with a licensed adoption agency or attorney. If you are working with a consultant, final payments must be made to a lawyer or agency.
- Priority will be given to applicants without children and those with failed or disrupted adoption placements.
- Should a grant be awarded:
- Adoption funds may not be used to cover travel cost.
- Money is only payable in USD to a licensed US adoption agency or lawyer.
- They do not cover agency start-up fees, funds should be applied towards the finalization of your adoption.
- If any portion of the grant is unused upon completion of the adoption process, or upon the expiration of the award (approximately 24 months from the official grant award date), the remaining funds will revert back to Helpusadopt.org.
When to Apply
- Domestic Adoption: For domestic adoption, you apply as soon as your home study is complete and your file is ready to be shown to birth parents.
- International Adoption: They recommend that applicants submit an application after their child has been identified. If the country you are adopting from has an unusually short time period between when you receive the referral, and when you travel, you may apply any time after your home study is completed. In that case, please note this in your application, and state when you expect to receive your referral and when you expect to bring your child(ren) home.
- Adoption Through Foster Care: For Adoption Through Foster Care, you apply at any time after your home study is complete.
For more information, visit https://www.helpusadopt.org/apply