USAID/Zimbabwe seeks to collaborate with a local entity operating in the informal economy to conduct an in-depth assessment of Zimbabwe’s informal economy under the program title: Youth, Employment and Informality – An Informal Economy Assessment.
Lacking financial resources, capacity and recognition, stakeholders in Zimbabwe’s informal economy struggle to carry out deep and extensive assessments of this growing economy. Some stakeholders struggle to make evidence-informed decisions as they serve their members who are mostly young men and women (aged 15-35 years). At the same time, due to the sometimes ‘underground’ nature of informal economic activities and the lack of information, development organizations have difficulty designing programs and activities that adequately reach and meet the needs of the informal economy actors, especially young men and women. This assessment is part of the Local Works Zimbabwe Youth Program.
The objective of the assessment is to map the informal economy to:
- provide a broad understanding of the informal economy,
- identify barriers to entry into the formal economy, and
- provide evidence of opportunities for youth employment in the informal economy.
- USAID intends to award one (1) Fixed Amount Award pursuant to this notice of funding opportunity. Subject to funding availability and at the discretion of the Agency, USAID intends to provide up to $150,000 over 6 months pursuant to this NOFO.
- The anticipated period of performance is 6 months as of the effective date of the award. Estimated start date is April 2021.
Only Zimbabwean organizations as defined below are eligible for this NOFO. Therefore, applications should be from qualified local, Zimbabwean entities, such as private, nonprofit organizations (or for-profit companies willing to forego profits), including private voluntary organizations, universities, research organizations, professional associations, and relevant special interest associations.
USAID defines a “local entity” as an individual, a corporation, a nonprofit organization, or another body of persons that:
- Is legally organized under the laws of; and
- Has as its principal place of business or operations in; and
- Is majority owned by individuals who are citizens or lawful permanent residents of; and
- Is managed by a governing body the majority of who are citizens or lawful permanent residents of the country receiving assistance.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=331598