The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Kosovo is seeking applications from eligible prospective Kosovo organizations to implement the program entitled “USAID/Kosovo Local Works Activity.”
In 2019, USAID/Kosovo was selected to receive funding to implement a Local Works activity, part of USAID’s global initiative that seeks to support local development by investing in the creativity and resourcefulness of communities. Under the Local Works program, selected USAID Missions are partnering with a variety of local actors to advance locally-led development.
The purpose of the Local Works Activity is to increase socio-economic cohesion among target communities–Kosovo Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian–through the facilitation of sustainable recycling models led by the private sector and in cooperation with communities and local governments. For the purpose of this activity the target stakeholder communities can be defined broadly as marginalized groups (Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian communities, youth, women and girls)
The USAID/Kosovo Local Works Activity aims to:
- Increase socio-economic cohesion among target communities–Kosovo Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian;
- Increase capacities of target communities to collaborate with relevant stakeholders for increased socio-economic cohesion;
- Facilitate locally-led and sustainable recycling models in pilot municipalities (Gracanica and Fushe Kosove) through private sector engagement; and
- Increase and facilitate quality partnerships among the Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian communities, private sector, and municipal governments (Gracanica and Fushe Kosove)
- Objective 1 – Local actors working together to increase socio-economic cohesion among target communities
- Objective 2 – Private sector and Municipal Governments facilitate sustainable recycling models in target municipalities (Gracanica and Fushe Kosove–pilot locations) that will benefit target communities.
- Objective 3 – Develop replicable models that can be sustained and scaled up
- Subject to funding availability and at the discretion of the Agency, USAID/Kosovo intends to provide up to $2,000,000 per individual award funding over four years plus one option year.
- The anticipated period of performance of the proposed activity for each award is four years plus one option year. The estimated start date will be TBD.
- Award Ceiling: $4,000,000
Eligibility for this NOFO is restricted to only Kosovo local organizations as defined below. USAID seeks to initiate implementation in two pilot municipalities in Gracanica and Fushe Kosove based on the high percentage of marginalized populations in these municipalities. Therefore, applications should be from qualified local, Kosovo entities, such as private, nonprofit organizations (or for-profit companies willing to forego profits), including private voluntary organizations, universities, research organizations, professional associations, and relevant special interest associations.
USAID defines a local organization as one that:
- Is legally organized under the laws of the recipient country;
- Has as its principal place of business or operations in Kosovo;
- Is majority-owned by individuals who are citizens or lawful permanent residents of the recipient country;
- Is managed by a governing body the majority of who are citizens or lawful permanent residents of Kosovo.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=331635