Applications are now open for the Women’s Health Activist Movement (WHAMglobal) Community Fund 2020.
The WHAMglobal Community Fund was designed to support improved alignment of efforts in maternal health and provide a forum for Community Based Organizations (CBOs) to collaborate, convene, and share best practices. The Fund will provide small grants to support this work and create a forum to:
- Build collaborative partnerships;
- Coordinate services;
- Share best practices;
- Receive training, new skills, and technical assistance; and
- Build consensus on priorities for improving maternal health outcomes in communities hardest hit by maternal health disparities.
Through learning collaboratives, mentorship, and stronger networks, the Community Fund will create a collaborative environment around shared goals while also strengthening organizational capacity to meet those goals.
The intent of the Fund is to provide increased support to community-based maternal health organizations who are trusted in their communities, have a clear mission toward improving maternal health outcomes for the mothers in their clientele communities, and are providing evidence-based services and support for mothers or mothers-to-be.
The five selected organizations for this funding round will:
- Receive funding support of $20,000 per year for three years to allocate in an area of their greatest need that would facilitate collaboration and coordination with other fund members.
- Collectively and collaboratively work with WHAMglobal to design outcome measures, with Fund members having autonomy to act using their strengths while seeking technical assistance in areas of greatest need.
- Attend and participate actively in regular Learning Collaboratives – an opportunity for Fund Members to convene, build collaborative partnerships, align goals and activities around maternal health, share challenges and best practices, access skills building sessions and trainings, and provide feedback from their clients and communities.
Commitment to Health Equity
The Community Fund will include organizations interested in building more collaborative networks among their peer community-based organizations, sharing best practices, and working together to strengthen their impact in their communities toward improving maternal health outcomes. As part of the grantee selection process, WHAMglobal will prioritize funding for organizations led by women of color serving the community in Allegheny County, PA. In alignment with recommendations recently shared by A Philanthropic Partnership for Black Communities (ABFE), they also commit to:
- BUILD AGENCY: Increase investments in organizations led by people of color that connect individuals and families to a wide array of resources and build power in communities to lead substantive change.
- PUSH STRUCTURAL CHANGE: Use funds to leverage public dollars to increase resources to Black-led organizations as well as for services and reforms in key areas for communities of color, including maternal health.
- CENTER BLACK EXPERIENCE: Engage leaders of color and communities in the development of philanthropic and policy solutions to ensure that well-intentioned “helping” and reform efforts do not exacerbate existing disparities.
For more information, visit https://www.whamglobal.org/blog/viewall/whamglobal-community-fund-application-is-open