Nominations are now open for the 2nd Edition of the CitiesTobe Photo Award 2023.
The CitiesToBe Photo Award is an international urban photography contest organized and powered by the Barcelona-based consulting firm Anteverti, aimed at supporting creators who use the city as their main theme — inspiring new reflections on the challenges the urban world is facing nowadays, and helping us to better understand them.
If there’s something that defines the last century in the world, that is the progressive concentration of people in cities. Whether fleeing from war and conflict, pursuing a better future, or simply following the inertia of progress, cities have been giving shelter and birth to more and more people without restraint. Today, the world is more urban than ever before, and this is increasing every year. As a result, cities have acquired a fundamental role in contemporary global reality.
The DNA of cities is composed of many exciting things, such as cultural diversity, creativity, innovation, entrepreneurship… At the same time, cities are a manifestation of their world’s main challenges: according to UN Habitat, they consume 78 % of the world’s energy and produce more than 60 % of greenhouse gas emissions. They are the place where social differences and segregation are most evident, and where cultural and identity conflicts converge. In short, cities are highly complex ecosystems comprising a multiplicity of layers and, most importantly, they are the canvas where their future will be created.
- One first acquisitive prize for the amount of 1,500 euros to the winning photograph — which will become part of Anteverti’s urban photography private collection.
- 10 honorable mentions to the finalist images of the CitiesToBe Photo Award
- The winning image and the 10 honorable mentions will be included in the CitiesToBe Photo Award 2023 edition’s book, aimed at acknowledging the work of its authors. The book will also feature the shortlisted images of the contest.
What images can be submitted?
- The CitiesToBe Photo Award is a contest of images that show or reflect on cities and urban life, in any of their complex forms and aspects.
- The photographic images can be conventional photographic work or artistic work that uses photography as a medium, without restrictions on techniques or procedures. Images may belong to a series of photographs or be part of a photographic project, and may have been previously published.
- Images that have already been previously rewarded are exempt to be submitted.
- All images must have been taken or created after 2018.
- Participants must hold the rights of the image they submit.
- Any individual over the age of 18 may participate in the CitiesToBe Photo Award 2023, regardless of their geographical location or nationality.
- Only one photograph per person will be accepted.
- Participation is free.
For more information, visit CitiesToBe.