Deadline: 28 February 2017
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is seeking applications for its “2017 SADC Media Awards”.
The SADC vision is one of a common future, within a regional community that will ensure economic well-being, improvement of the standard of living and quality of life, freedom and social justice, peace and security for the peoples of Southern Africa. This shared vision is anchored on common values and principles and the historical and cultural affinities that exist amongst the peoples of Southern Africa.
The themes of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be on issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region:
The Awards will include Print, Radio, Television and Photo journalism and each category carries a prize of US$2000.00.
- Print Journalism: comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, website, magazines
- Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 100 (one hundred words and a maximum of 2000 (two thousand) words.
- Radio Journalism: comprising broadcast material
- Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of one minute and a maximum duration of one hour and all Broadcast material should be accompanied by a CD/Video for the work
- Television Journalism: comprising televised material
- Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of one minute and a maximum duration of one hour and all Broadcast material should be accompanied by a transcript in any of the languages.
- Photojournalism: comprising published pictures with a caption
- Photographic entries should have a minimum of a single photo, a pictorial of up to 10 photos and an album of up to 20 photos.
- The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and December the year preceding the awards (2016) by a registered and/or authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States.
- All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition, except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff.
- All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages, i.e. English, Portuguese, French and any national indigenous language of the SADC Region and should be submitted as they were published/broadcast (newspaper cutting, websites, magazines, audio CDs or video cassettes/DVDs, newsletters.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
Eligible Countries: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit SADC Media Awards.