Deadline: 21 June 2019
Thomson Reuters Foundation in partnership with the Institute for the Advancement of Journalism is looking for journalists based anywhere in Africa who are motivated to understand how their country could be losing money via illicit means.
Wealth of Nations is a long-term engagement, and journalists who take part must commit to all elements of the scheme, signing an agreement to this effect. These elements include:
- The production of stories or investigations on illicit financial flows
- A mentoring support scheme that will help produce these stories
- Intensive training on reporting illicit finance
- The first workshop will take place from Monday, 26 August – Friday, 30 August 2019 at the Institute for the Advancement of Journalism in Johannesburg
- Selected participants will be invited to a follow-up workshop in mid-October 2019
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
- If selected, applicant will take part in one intensive workshops (5 days) covering illicit finance, reporting on companies, accounts and budgets, and investigative techniques. The workshops will take place in Johannesburg.
- Applicants will propose one or more story ideas that applicant wish to work on within the scheme – they will provide experienced journalists to help applicant pursue applicant’s stories right up to publication/broadcast.
- Selected participants will receive modest funding to help them realise their stories or investigations; those who are funded may have further opportunities for training.
- Applicants will have exclusive access to expertise through their network of illicit finance experts.
- Applicants will also have access to story ideas and editorial advice and will be invited to share applicant’s own expertise with participants from other regions.
Successful applicants will receive a full bursary that will cover air travel expenses (economy class), accommodation, local transfers and meals. Please note that applicant needs to check visa requirements and ensure applicant have the necessary documentation required. The cost of their visa and any other related costs will be the responsibility of the participant.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Journalists with at least two years of professional experience.
- It is an advantage if applicant are familiar with investigative journalism, reporting on finances and/or dealing with numbers more generally, but if applicants have a strong motivation to learn about and understand these issues then they will consider their application.
- Applicants must be able to spend significant time working on illicit finance stories or investigations.
- Both freelancers and staff journalists may apply. Journalists working for a news organisation will need consent from their editor to take part. Freelancers should provide evidence that one or more media organisations will be willing to take their work.
- Journalists working in any medium or multiple media are welcome to apply (print, online, radio or television).
- Journalists should be based in Africa and working for one or more African media organisations.
- Journalists applying must have fluent English.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://tmsnrt.rs/2ZdOJiD
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.