Deadline: 19 January 2018
The International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) is inviting applicants for its 2018 Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Awards in order to celebrate women photojournalists for work that inspires us to take action and better understand the world.
The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award was created to honor the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014). With this Award, the IWMF celebrates the courage of women photojournalists like Anja. The Award recognizes the importance of visual journalistic work that inspires us to take action and compels us to better understand the world.
The Award winner will be publicly honored, has her work showcased, and receive a cash prize of $20,000.
- The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award recognizes women photojournalists with a commitment to shining a light on important stories around the world through brave and compelling work.
- Candidates for the Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award must:
- Work full-time as journalists; journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation.
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible Identify as women.
- All nominations must include candidate information, work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the place and situation captured.
- Photos must not be manipulated post-production. Photos must depict accurately the scenes and events captured. Photo collages and illustrations will not be accepted.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years. The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Submissions must include a 1 page candidate/nomination statement. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the photographs submitted with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award.