Nominations are now open for 18th edition of the Samir Kassir Award.
The 18th edition of the Samir Kassir Award comes at a time of global crises. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine a year ago dealt a serious blow to the international rules-based order.
It also made it difficult for the post-pandemic world to recover economically, in particular in the Middle East and North Africa. As I write these words, relief workers are working around the clock to find survivors of the terrible earthquake that struck Türkiye and Syria and that already took the lives of thousands of people.
Three awards will be granted for:
- Best opinion article
- Best investigative article
- Best audiovisual news report.
- The article must not exceed 25,000 characters and must have been published between March 16, 2022, and March 15, 2023.
- The report must not exceed seven minutes and must have been released between March 16, 2022, and March 15, 2023.
- The winner in each of the three categories will be awarded €10,000.
- Candidates must submit an opinion article, an investigative article, or an audiovisual news report centered around one or more of the following topics: rule of law, human rights, good governance, fight against corruption, freedom of expression, democratic development, or citizen participation.
- The contest is open to journalists nationals of the following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
- The submitted article must have been published in a print or online media outlet in one of the countries listed or in one of the European Union Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden).
- The audiovisual news report must have been aired on a local or satellite television network or released on an online television network in one of the countries listed or in one of the European Union Member States.
- To complete the online registration, make sure you provide:
- Your personal information, which will be treated according to the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation rules.
- The entire published article in its original form as well as a copy translated into English (the use of Google Translate or any other automatic translation tool is strictly forbidden) or the link to the original audiovisual news report in its original form with English subtitles and/or an English translation or description of the report.
- A proof of publication or broadcast (link to the original copy or broadcast, or photocopy of the published article, or a letter proving the authenticity of the publication/broadcast, signed by the person in charge of the media outlet or their representative).
- A resume.
For more information, visit Samir Kassir Award.