Deadline: 15 Sept 2020
The Center for Media, Data, and Society at Central European University in Budapest has announced an open call for journalists in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia with some experience in news reporting and covering complex topics to apply for a unique hybrid-style online and offline course on cross-border investigative journalism.
The course aims to
- equip reporters with improved skills of the latest investigative reporting techniques to be able to research, conduct and present region-specific cross-border investigations;
- integrate technology/multimedia approach for investigative research, documentation, internal organization, (multimedia) storytelling and data visualization;
- help journalists minimize their risks by providing basic legal knowledge, and digital and physical security techniques;
- prepare journalists to collaborate regionally on cross-border topics with an improved regional approach and network.
The course will
- feature top-level journalists as instructors with experience in cross-border investigations both from the region and from other parts of Europe;
- mix theory and methods with hands-on, practical approach for a complex learning experience;
- deliver content in a wide range of forms and formats including readings, exercises, case studies, best practices, expert coaching, interactive expert feedback, individual and group assignments, in text and multimedia formats;
- include the possibility of funding for teams of participants to work on specific cross-border investigations, with the goal of producing and publishing these investigations;
- facilitate participants` learning experience by combining the online course with an offline training, and by ensuring that the online components remain available for further use after completion of the course.
The course will start with an intensive training in Budapest, Hungary, on October 19-20, 2020, followed by eight weeks of top-level online instruction.
- Participants will have the opportunity to pitch their investigative ideas for grants offered by BIRN Hub, and if accepted they will receive assistance and mentorship for their research.
- Successful participants will receive a professional certificate from the Central European University, signed by the Director of the Center for Media, Data and Society and verifiable for employers.
For more information, visit https://cmds.ceu.edu/cross-border-investigative-journalism-training-western-balkans