The programme will provide selected outlets with mentoring and coaching in various aspects of media business under the recently launched Protecting Independent Media for Effective Development (PRIMED) programme, funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).
MDIF will provide capacity building in areas such as audience development, revenue development, digital development and organisational management. The programme will help media to optimise revenues and improve their resilience to economic challenges, including the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. In a related programme, BBC Media Action (BBC MA) will provide capacity support to media seeking to improve quality and standards of content production.
In Ethiopia, MDIF and BBC MA will provide capacity building support to selected public interest media organisations with the aim of increasing their sustainability and strengthening their ability to provide the public with accurate, balanced information. MDIF will focus on building media business capacity in areas such as audience development, revenue development, digital development and organisational management to help media optimise revenues and improve their resilience to economic challenges, including the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. BBC MA will focus on improving the quality and standards of content production.
MDIF has Ethiopia as its main target country, providing capacity building and mentoring with the aim of increasing media sustainability and strengthening their ability to provide the public with accurate, balanced information.
All media applying for MDIF PRIMED capacity building support in Ethiopia must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Media companies as well as not-for-profit organisations committed to providing credible, independent news, information or public interest debate;
- Independent from the government or of any other political or economic interest group;
- Supportive of democratic practices and institutions, political pluralism, transparency, human rights, dignity and equal rights for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion and other subjects of discrimination;
- Legally registered, except in extraordinary circumstances;
- Media organisations willing to dedicate time and effort to program activities, developing their capacity in identified areas of support and demonstrating a commitment to achieving this goal.
For more information, visit https://www.mdif.org/our-work/initiatives/primed/