Nominations are now open for the WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award 2023.
- Digitalisation has transformed the way people interact with each other in a profound way. New technology allows them to connect with people from all over the world, share knowledge and create actions toward the future we desire. With all its facets, the internet has become crucial in grassroots movements fighting for democracy, human rights, and sustainable development. It has enabled people to raise their voices in previously impossible ways.
- But there are darker and more worrying aspects of the digital conversation. Over the past years, they have seen how disinformation have the power to manipulate their image of societal events, their political discussions, and their elections. Digital platforms are being used to increase polarisation and cause intolerance of others’ opinions.
- To enable more resilient and sustainable societies, they need to find ways to use the internet to benefit democracy, sustainable development and movements toward a better world, and at the same time, mitigate the risks they now see so clearly. Creating countermeasures against disinformation is vital for the functioning of their modern public discourse.
- The theme for WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award 2023 is therefore Fighting Disinformation. The award welcomes nominations of persons or organisations that effectively have taken on the challenge to fight disinformation, have improved the democratic discourse and created change that will inspire others, thereby facilitating the work to reach the UN Sustainable Goals 2030.
- Candidates for the WIN WIN Award (1,000,000 SEK) are actors who have created change that can inspire others and have shown what is necessary to fight disinformation.
- Candidates for the WIN WIN Youth Award (50,000 SEK) are young actors between the ages of 13-29 who, with their initiatives, have contributed positively to fighting disinformation.
- Any organisation, movement, business, group of people or individual whose work has resulted in greater change and contributed to a more sustainable future. The winners of the awards are appointed by an independent jury.
- WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award is a non-profit organisation financed by the City of Gothenburg, Region Västra Götaland and several member organisations and companies.
For more information, visit https://www.winwinaward.org/nomination