Deadline: 7 August 2016
The International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) is currently inviting applications from women journalists for its Mexico and Mexico-U.S. Border Reporting Trips with an aim to reduce the gender gap in international media and to support women journalists interested in pursuing stories.
A group of six journalists will cover the Mexico – U.S Border from Ciudad Juárez, with opportunities to travel to El Paso, Texas. Concurrently, another group of six journalists will travel to cover the Mexico’s Southern Border with Guatemala, based in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas.
- All Fellows will begin their trip in Mexico City, Mexico, where they will complete a comprehensive security training and orientation from December 3 – 5.
- Fellows will then depart for a eight-day in-country reporting from December 6 – 16, 2016 from Ciudad Juárez (Mexico-U.S. Border Reporting Trip) or Tuxtla Gutiérrez (Mexico Reporting Trip), where they will have the opportunity to network with in-country journalists, collaborate with international peers, and access a wide range of sources and sites relevant to their reporting.
- The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all Fellows.
- The IWMF also covers fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, lodging, meals, and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs.
- Visa costs will also be covered, but fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas.
- Women journalists of all nationalities are welcome to apply.
- Applicant must be a woman journalist whose primary profession is journalism.
- Applicant must have at least three years of professional experience in journalism. Journalists working in print, broadcast, or digital media, including freelancers, are eligible.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate support from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
- The IWMF may require additional training, experience, and/or language skills for some international reporting trips
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through an online process.
For more information, please visit Call for Applications.