Deadline: 27 September 2019
The Nieman Foundation has announced a 2020 Knight Visiting Nieman Fellowship. These Fellowships at Harvard offer short-term research opportunities to individuals interested in working on special projects designed to advance journalism.
Candidates need not be practicing journalists, but must demonstrate the ways in which their work at Harvard and the Nieman Foundation may improve the prospects for journalism’s future.
- For fellows not supported by an employer during the fellowship, a stipend of $1,350 per week will be provided. If an employer keeps the fellow on salary during the fellowship because the project benefits the organization, a fellowship stipend will not be provided.
- If a fellow does not reside in the Boston area or otherwise have accommodations, free use of a furnished one-bedroom apartment will be available for the length of the fellowship.
Visiting fellowships take place during the calendar rather than the academic year. Applicants list their preferred start date, the number of weeks requested (no more than 12), and any flexibility regarding dates in the online application. The Nieman Foundation will work with selected fellows to determine a start date. The duration of the fellowship awarded may be shorter than the number of weeks requested. Most fellowships are between four and eight weeks.
- The proposed project must have the potential to advance journalism. This may be related to research, programming, design, financial strategies or another topic.
- Those who should consider applying include journalists, publishers, technologists, entrepreneurs, programmers, designers, media analysts, academics and others who want to make an impact. There is no age limit or academic prerequisites, and a college degree is not required. Both U.S. and international applicants are invited to apply.
- Candidates must be available to be in residence in Cambridge, Mass., for the duration of the fellowship.
- Prospective fellows must speak and read English fluently and have a command of written English.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://nieman.harvard.edu/fellowships/nieman-visiting-fellowships/