Deadline: 2 March 2018
The Fritt Ord Foundation and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius are inviting nominations of journalists, bloggers, internet media and newspapers for the “2018 Free Media Awards”.
The prizes provide support for journalists and media that report independently and refuse to give up in the face of threats. The media operate under tremendous pressure in many countries in Eastern Europe. With the Free Media Awards, they seek to encourage journalists and media to carry on their work, despite threats and violent oppression, and to contribute to strengthen independent journalism.
The ‘Free Media Awards’ is the new name for The ‘Free Media Awards’ is the new name for the Press Prizes awarded by the two foundations The Fritt Ord Foundation and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius. The press prizes are intended to support the independent role of journalists, who continue their word despite reprisals and financial difficulties.
- The Free Media Awards prize amount per recipient is EUR 15 000.
- The prize laureates themselves decide how the money will be spent, as long as it benefits the individual newspaper or journalist. The Fritt Ord Foundation and the ZEIT Foundation have been awarding press prizes to media in Russia and Eastern Europe since 2004.
- The Free Media Awards will be awarded to journalists and media from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.
- The press prizes are earmarked for newspapers, Internet media and journalists from Russia, Belarus, the Ukraine, Georgia and South Caucasus. The foundations would like to express their support for newspapers and journalists in larger cities as well as for regional media aimed at strengthening the press in rural areas.
- The media outlets are to demonstrate broad editorial initiatives in at least three areas, one of which should be foreign policy. They should be able to demonstrate balanced coverage of political, cultural, economic and social affairs. They must show a commitment to democracy, international understanding and freedom of expression. The media outlets must have been publishing articles for at least one year, and be able to demonstrate a steady readership.
- The prize laureats are decided on the basis of nominations, which are then reviewed by an independent jury.
How to Apply
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Nominations must be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit 2018 Free Media Awards.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.