Deadline: 24 February 2017
The South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) has launched a call for community proposals for the National South Asian Summit 2017.
The National South Asian Summit 2017 will convene South Asian organizations, advocates, and allies from across the U.S. on April 21-24, 2017 in Washington, D.C.
The 2017 Summit will be the 10-year anniversary for this epic gathering, and will provide an opportunity to build skills that will deepen applicant’s organization’s work and their individual leadership, connect with government officials and congressional offices, expand applicant’s networks, and strategize with diverse leaders, advocates, and allies to demonstrate justice, create change, and claim power through collective action.
Summit 2017 sessions—reflecting a variety of formats, including workshops, panels, plenaries, screenings and discussion groups, etc.—will take place on Saturday, April 22, 2017 and Sunday, April 23, 2017 at Trinity Washington University. SAALT is committed to reflecting the interests and ideas of community members to help ensure engaging, relevant content. They are encouraging individuals and organizations to submit ideas for consideration.
This year’s theme is in response to the rise in hate violence, xenophobic political rhetoric, and anti-immigrant sentiments that have escalated to unprecedented levels. These challenges facing communities continue to grow. In response, communities must be United for Action.
- Current issues affecting the South Asians in the US, such as, immigration, national security, racial and religious profiling, hate crimes, biased-based bullying, gender justice, LGBTQ justice, health, civic engagement, xenophobic rhetoric in public discourse, etc.
- Skills-building and resource-building around approaches to social change, such as advocacy, community organizing, community mobilization, storytelling, partnerships and coalition-building, and direct services
- State and local advocacy, such as local campaign development, strategies for engagement with service organizations, etc.
- Individual and organizational leadership development
- Organizational capacity building and infrastructure building skills and topics, such as funding, board development, volunteer management, etc.
How to Apply
Applicants can download the application form via given website.
For more information, please visit National South Asian Summit 2017.