Deadline: 15 January 2022
Nominations are now open for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) NGO Innovation Award 2022 to celebrate the efforts and accomplishments of NGOs who developed innovative approaches for protection and delivery of services to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
UNHCR, via this Award, seeks to identify and recognize the new and creative approaches that can result in better protection and delivery of service to the communities they serve and amplify the acts of solidarity and innovation in an age of increasing uncertainty and disruption.
The 2022 Award will focus on women-led organizations and girl-led organizations (WLOs) working with or supporting refugees, internally displaced persons, returnees, stateless persons and host communities. The Award will prioritize the organizations created or led by refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR, but is also open to other community-based women-led organizations working in forced displacement context. This focus on women-led organizations seeks to award organizations that hold strong organizational values, principles, and commitments to gender equality and accountability to women and girls, as well as those that promote women in positions of leadership.
Seven (7) winning organisations, one each in UNHCR’s regions, will receive $15,000 each to help support their innovation work that strives to uphold and improve challenges around gender equity and accountability to women and girls.
- The organizations are eligible to be considered if they meet the following criteria:
- They are women-led or girl-led
- They are working in forced displacement context;
- They work at the local, grassroot level
- They have developed innovative approaches in their work
- The organizations will be prioritized for consideration in the following order:
- Women-led organizations led by refugees, internally displaced persons, stateless or other persons of concern to UNHCR (with a leadership, management and staffing formed by a majority of these groups.
- Other community-based women-led organizations supporting or working in partnership with refugees, refugee networks or other structures that support refugees*, their activities, and/or their community.
Winners will be selected on the following criteria:
- the understanding and clarity of the challenge,
- the novelty of the solution,
- the inclusion of women and/or girls in designing the solution, and
- the achieved impact or intended impact of the project.
For more information, visit https://www.unhcr.org/innovation/unhcr-ngo-innovation-award-2022/