Applications are now open for the Allianz Climate Risk Award to celebrate scientists at the start of their career whose work sheds light on the nexus between climate change and extreme weather events.
The award is open to PhD candidates and Post-Doctoral researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change;
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
- Ten candidates are shortlisted by a jury and their work is published in a Compendium. Out of the 10, three are invited to Munich, Germany, to present their research at an awards ceremony. The finalists all receive funding to support their research.
- The Award has a global reach. It does not matter where you are in the world. What matters is the quality of your research.
- The annual Allianz Climate Risk Research Award focuses on excellent research projects regarding resilience, digitalization and weather risks expected to rise as a result of climate change. It is funded by Allianz Re, the Reinsurance Unit of Allianz SE.
- The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- You are on individual author.
- You submit only one research.
- You are a PhD student or a postdoctoral researcher (recent PhD graduates and postdoctoral graduates can also apply if the defense of final research to obtain title is not more than two years at the time of the application).
- If you are selected as Finalist, you must attend the Award Event in Munich and present your work in person.
- Material submitted will not be returned to senders.
- The presentation of the monetary award to the Winners is subjected to the mandatory attendance of the latter to the Award event and the presentation of the research during the reserved time slot.
- Prizes are personal to the Winners and not transferable. The Winners are responsible for the payment of any taxes and charges arising on the Prize.
- Allianz reserves the right to cancel the Award or vary these Terms & Conditions at any time at its discretion. Allianz reserves the right to suspend the Award at any time and to change the form and substance or the specification, dates for deadlines and events. Allianz reserves the right not to award a Winner. Changes are indicated on the website.
- If you are a Finalist/Winner, you authorize Allianz to take pictures during the Award event and grant Allianz without limitation and on a royalty-free basis the right to use including the right to store, copy and distribute printed or digital format photographs related to publications or announcement of the Award in media publications, online advertisements or in any other format that Allianz will choose with regard to the Award. Allianz confirms that personal data is handled with care, and only used for purposes pertaining to the Award There will be no disclosure of data to third parties beyond this. You have the right to:
- Access your personal data held about you and to learn the origin of the data, the purposes and ends of the processing, the details of the data controller, the data processors and the parties to whom the data may be disclosed;
- Withdraw your consent at any time where your personal data is processed with your consent;
- Update or correct your personal data so that it is always accurate;
- Delete your personal data from the records if it is no longer needed for the purposes indicated above;
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, for example where you have contested the accuracy of your personal data, for the period enabling them to verify its accuracy;
- Obtain your personal data in an electronic format;
- Object to them processing your personal data, or tell them to stop processing it; and
- File a complaint with them and/or the relevant data protection authority.
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic Excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
- A jury of experts, drawn from industry and academic, select the recipients
- Application form, signed declaration form, essay based on research and letter of recommendation must be sent by the deadline.
- Announcement of the finalists – late September 2023
- Award event – November 22, 2023.
For more information, visit Allianz Climate Risk Award.