Deadline: 31 March 2017
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in collaboration with DFG is currently inviting postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, for the Cooperation Visits Programme. Under this programme, researchers are assisted in making a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany.
The aim of the visit is to discuss research collaboration with German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term collaboration, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes. Visit duration is (3) months and must be undertaken within 12 months of the award
- TWAS will cover health insurance and travel expenses.
- DFG will provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2012;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants already on site in Germany are not eligible.
- Successful applicants can only reapply once for another cooperation visit.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.
How to Apply
Completed applications, together with the supporting documentation, should be sent either by email or post. Following documents should be included-
- CV, a maximum two pages and a list of 6 publications.
- A recent invitation letter from a German host – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – which should contain the proposed time of the visit (up to 3 months) and should refer to the proposed cooperation.
- Two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with your work.
- A copy of your PhD certificate plus evidence of proficiency in either English or German.
Successful applicants will be informed three months after the deadline.
For more information and application form, visit TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme.