Nominations are now open for the Falling Walls Global Call, an international competition format that brings together science enthusiasts from diverse backgrounds.
Falling Walls fosters discussion on research and innovation and promotes the latest scientific findings among a broad audience from all parts of society. They look forward to honouring the people who are finding solutions to these challenges at the Falling Walls Science Summit 2023.
What is the Falling Walls Global Call?
- The Falling Walls Global Call is an international competition format that brings together science enthusiasts from diverse backgrounds. They are looking for the most recent and innovative Breakthroughs of the Year!
- They encourage and invite nominations and applications from all over the world. To help make the Falling Walls Science Summit 2023 the celebration that excellent science deserves, they launch the Falling Walls Global Call each year.
What are the Categories?
- The Falling walls Global Call is Composed of the Following Categories:
- Life Sciences: The scientific study of life and organisms e.g. biology, neuroscience, zoology.
- Physical Sciences: The observation and understanding of natural phenomena of the earth, atmosphere and space, e.g. chemistry, physics, astronomy.
- Engineering & Technology: The practical application of science and mathematics to every-day life, e.g. artificial intelligence, information technology, mechanical engineering.
- Social Sciences & Humanities: The institutions and functioning of human society and the interpersonal relationships of individuals as members of society, e.g. politics, economics, philosophy.
- Art & Science: Artists whose work is inspired and influenced by science, which sheds light on societal issues, natural phenomena or simply the wonder of scientific discoveries.
- Science & Innovation Management: Significant advances, developments, achievements or an increase in (scientific) knowledge that remove barriers to progress in their respective fields.
- Emerging Talents (Falling Walls Lab): Next generation of students and early-career professionals from all disciplines to promote their exceptional ideas that create a positive impact on science and society.
- Science Start-ups (Falling Walls Venture): Innovative start-ups that have translated breakthrough scientific thinking into promising business models.
- Science Engagement (Falling Walls Engage): Forms of participatory science engagement initiatives that generate mutual learning between, and mutual benefits for, science and society.
Who Can Participate?
- You can either nominate outstanding research or apply with your own project.
- The goal is to find excellent and groundbreaking research projects in the different categories. With “breakthrough research” they are specifically looking for projects that address global challenges and represent scientific knowledge in an innovative way. They encourage an interdisciplinary approach to science.
- For nominations, they invite leading academic institutions, universities, research organisations, companies, private and public research centres, academies, research funders, foundations, and individuals to nominate the bright minds behind the latest breakthroughs and outstanding science projects.
- By opting in to Falling Walls Science Breakthroughs of the Year 2023, nominees confirm that their work has never been presented on the Falling Walls Breakthrough Stage before. Nominees can be nominated again with a different project /research topic.
- At the time of nomination, the nominees must be of full age according to their domestic legislation or older, however, no less than 18 years old.
- Nominations are open to all scientific disciplines, as well as all arts in the category “Art and Science.
- All rights to the presented work should be held by the presenter and be public before the submission/presentation to Falling Walls. By presenting on the Falling Walls Stage, presenters guarantee that their research methods and academic practices adhere to legal standards and established ethical values.
Terms and Conditions
- Corporate partners of the respective Falling Walls category have access to the application documents (data the applicant provides) of each applicant. Likewise, members of the pre-selection process and jury members of the respective Falling Walls category have access to the full application documents. There is no legal right to participation. Application materials will be archived for 15 years in order to cross-check whether newly received applications were submitted by previous presenters and to document the permission to use material as stated them. Personal data may not be disclosed to unauthorized third parties.
- Nominations have to be submitted by the date stipulated on the Falling Walls Foundation’s website. Any nomination which has been submitted later than the aforementioned deadline will not be considered.
- The Falling Walls Foundation may involve the nominating institution at a later stage within the scope of the Falling Walls events.
- Nominees will be informed about the outcome of their nomination following the respective submission deadline.
- All decisions made by pre-selection committees are final and there is no right of appeal.
- The selected Science Breakthroughs of the Year may be invited to attend the Falling Walls Science Summit in Berlin from 7-9 November in person. Selected nominees will be informed of any changes to the events in due time. Should a nominee, for cause, not be able to participate in the live formats of Falling Walls, they must inform the Falling Walls Foundation in a timely manner. The Falling Walls Foundation reserves the right to invite a different nominee as a suitable replacement or invite the nominee to participate remotely.
- Top nominees from the Emerging Talents, Science Start-Ups, and Science Engagement categories, selected via category-specific processes, will be invited to present their ideas at the Pitches Day (November 7) as part of the Falling Walls Science Summit. The Breakthroughs of the Year in these categories will be selected by the jury on this day.
- The determination of the Falling Walls Science Breakthrough of the Year in each category is subject to the jury. The jury shall make a decision at its own discretion; all decisions are final and there is no right of appeal.
- The nominating institution consents to receiving emails related to Falling Walls events, with the option of unsubscribing either through written response or opt-out.
For more information, visit Falling Walls.