Deadline: 28 July 2019
Applicants are invited to apply for the World Water Challenge 2019 which is an international contest for water solutions. This 5th edition of World Water Challenge is expected to serve its role as an important platform to share the ideas and know-hows towards solving the defined water issues around the world and to forge a tailored network among the water-related experts and stakeholders.
World Water Challenge 2019 will be held as one of the signature programs of KIWW 2019 which will take place in September in Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea.
The World Water Challenge is an international contest for water solutions. It was created as a special program of the Science and Technology Process in the 7th World Water Forum to identify imminent water problems that the world is facing and to find feasible solutions based on the core value, “Implementation”.
The program is aiming at identification of science, technology and policy based solutions to imminent water problems.
Attracting great attention in the 1st edition in 2015 at the 7th World Water Forum, the program has become one of the symbolic platforms of implementation which has been followed up in the Korea International Water Week over the past 3 years, focusing on scientific and technological methods that have contributed to the world’s awareness on the importance of the roles of science and technology in solving water challenges.
This year, the World Water Challenge 2019 (WWCH 2019) will also take place as one of the signature programs of the Korea International Water Week (KIWW) 2019 in coming September in Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea.
This 5th edition of the World Water Challenge is expected to serve its role as an important platform to share not only innovative scientific/ technological methods but also policy towards solving the defined water problems around the world and to forge a broad network among the experts and stakeholders in water sector as well as the diverse pool of problem owners and solution providers.
- Topic 1: Efficient Water Management (SDGs links: SDG 6.4 Water Use Efficiency)
- Urban water efficiency
- Agricultural water efficiency
- Industrial water efficiency
- Energy efficiency in water and waste water systems
- Topic 2: Resource Recovery from Water and Wastewater Systems (SDGs links: 6.1 Safe Water, 6.2 Sanitation)
- Water recycling and reuse technologies
- Energy production from water and waste water cycles
- Nutrient recovery from waste water
- Topic 3: Water and Natural Disasters (SDGs links: 11.5 Reduction of Economic & Human Losses)
- Climate change assessment and adaptation
- Drought analysis and management
- Urban floods and damage reduction
- Remote sensing and GIS applications to natural hazards
- Topic 4: Smart Water Technologies (SDGs links: 6.5 IWRM)
- Management of urban, industry, and irrigation water
- Implementation of integrated water resources management
- Design and implementation of smart water grid
- Information and communication technologies for water management
- Topic 5: Ecosystem and Water (SDGs links: 6.6 Water & Ecosystems)
- Science and technology for green infrastructure management
- Economic valuation on ecosystem and water
- Effects of ecosystem on water quality
Award & Benefit
- The total prize amount for the World Water Challenge 2019 is KRW 16,000,000 (approx. 16,000 USD).
- The Award Ceremony will be held on September 6th at the closing ceremony of KIWW 2019 and the winners will be presented with a cash prize and trophy respectively.
Anyone (as an individual or on behalf of an organization) who is interested in contributing to resolve water-related challenges with creative/applicable solutions welcome to submit solutions to WWCH 2019’s designated challenges announced.
How to Apply
Interested applications can apply online via given website.
For more, please https://www.kiww.org/fairContents.do?FAIRMENU_IDX=5815&hl=ENG