The World Water Challenge is an international contest for water solutions. It was created as a special program of the Science and Technology Process in the 7th World Water Forum to identify imminent water problems that the world is facing and to find feasible solutions based on the core value, “Implementation”.
The program is aiming at the identification of science, technology, and policy-based solutions to imminent water problems. This 6th edition of the World Water Challenge is expected to serve its role as an important platform to share not only innovative scientific/ technological methods but also policy towards solving the defined water problems around the world and to forge a broad network among the experts and stakeholders in the water sector as well as the diverse pool of problem owners and solution providers.
This year, the World Water Challenge 2020 (WWCH 2020) will take place as one of the signature programs of the Korea International Water Week (KIWW) 2020 in September via online platform due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Particularly, given the current global circumstance in which the world is suffering from COVID-19 pandemic.
WWCH 2020 will be dealing with the special topic “Water and Health” along with 5 Main Topics to demonstrate a pathway to not only overcoming the current pandemic but also achieving the Sustainable Development Goals:
Topic 1: Efficient Water Management
- Water efficiency
- Agricultural water efficiency
- Industrial water efficiency
- Energy efficiency in water and wastewater systems
Topic 2: Resource Recovery from Water and Wastewater Systems
- Water recycling and reuse technologies
- Energy production from water and wastewater cycles
- Nutrient recovery from wastewater
Topic 3: Water and Natural Disasters
- Climate change assessment and adaptation
- Drought analysis and management
- Floods and damage reduction
- Remote sensing and GIS applications to natural hazards
Topic 4: Smart Water Technologies
- Management of Urban and Rural, industry, and irrigation water
- Implementation of integrated water resources management
- Design and implementation of a smart water grid
- Information and communication technologies for water management
Topic 5: Ecosystem and Water
- Science and technology for green infrastructure management
- Economic valuation on ecosystem and water
- Effects of the ecosystem on water quality
Award and Benefit
Winners will get a cash prize and trophy under two following categories:
- ‘The Best’ will be presented by the Ministry of Environment, ROK where up to 10,000,000 KRW (approx 8400 USD) shall be awarded.
- ‘Outstanding’ will be presented by the president of Korea Water Forum where 5,000,000 KRW (approx 4200 USD) shall be awarded.
- Winners will have the chance to be invited to the WWCH showcase during the KIWW 2021 and/or the 9th World Water Forum to share their solutions with the experts from all around the world.
- The title of the awards and the amount of prize money are subject to change.
- If there are not qualified solutions for the “THE BEST” prize based on the decision of the evaluation committee, there may not be the winner of the year and/or type of award and prize money may change.
Anyone (as an individual or on behalf of an organization) who is interested in contributing to resolve water related challenges with creative/applicable solutions is welcome to submit solutions to WWCH 2020’s designated challenges announced.
A submission can earn a maximum score of 100 points. Each submission will be judged based on five different criteria as below:
- Contribution to “Sustainability”
- The list of the challenges has been decided by the expert committee members.
- Solution submission
- Solution selection
- Final presentation and award ceremony
For more information, visit https://kiww.org/fairContents.do?FAIRMENU_IDX=5815&hl=ENG