The Up Accelerate WAY edition is an initiative of UNFPA in partnership with Outbox with support from the Government of Denmark that encourages and supports young people to develop innovative solutions responding to Sexual Reproductive Health (SRHR) and Gender-Based Violence issues in Uganda.
The overall outcome of the programme is to enhance the utilization of SRHR and GBV (Gender-Based Violence) services among the women and young people in northern Uganda, including refugees, in order to realise their right to live healthy and productive lives.
For this call, applicants are expected to propose solutions that:
- Enable Women and Young people affected by conflict & their host communities to access timely, context-appropriate and accurate information and education on Sexual Reproductive Health and GBV;
- Improve access to essential Sexual Reproductive Health Services and Supplies for women and young people affected by conflict and their host communities;
- Provide an integrated approach of reducing alcohol and substance abuse so as to limit instances of Gender-Based Violence among women and young people.
- Up Accelerate WAY Edition is a social innovation incubator that seeks to support up-to eighty (80) youth (Refugees and Non-refugees) who will be nurtured to develop and implement break-through entrepreneurial solutions/businesses for the improvement of SRHR and GBV outcomes.
- The incubation process will provide mentorship, seed funding, business training and linkages to markets so as to enable the beneficiaries to build self-sustaining solutions.
The program is open to:
- Founding teams of individuals that are between 18 – 30 years of age at the time of the application and who reside in one of the ten (10) districts of focus. The project will only accept teams of at least 2 founding individuals and no more than 5 to participate in the program. A team of one founding individual will not be considered. Each team must be constituted of, as a minimum, 1 female founding member.
- Participants must be Ugandan citizens or registered as refugees in Uganda resident in the eight target districts of the program and available for the incubation period of one (1) year. Applicants solution should be targeted for implementation in the eight target districts of the program. The focus districts are Adjumani, Agago, Amuru, Arua, Kitgum, Lamwo, Moyo, Yumbe, Madi-Okollo and Obongi.
- All team members must be fully proficient in written and spoken English.
- Up Accelerate is a program that requires founder participation. All founding team members must commit to fully participate in the program.
- Owning or having a registered business is not a prerequisite for winning the competition. However, winners without registered businesses will be expected to register businesses or companies in Uganda within 1 month of being notified of winning the competition to be eligible to receive the grant.
- The business idea should be pre-revenue and not have raised more than UGX 37 Million at the time of submission of the application.
- Only applications submitted through the Up Accelerate web portal or hand-delivered at the innovation partner centre in a sealed envelope will be eligible for consideration.
- Employees of UNFPA, Outbox, Reach A Hand, Care Uganda, CDFU and any individual involved in the Up Accelerate program design, production, promotion, execution, distribution and any such individual’s immediate family or household, are not eligible to participate in this program.
- Participant may enter more than one application. However, each application must be, at the sole discretion of the Organizers, substantially different from the Participant’s other applications. If similar applications are received, the Organisers may require the Participant to choose one of the similar applications for consideration. If an individual is a member of more than one team or organization, the applications made by the team or organization that the individual is part of must be substantially different from other applications the individual is involved in.
- An application may be rejected at the sole discretion of the Organizers for any reason, including if the application, either in part or in its entirety, is deemed to be obscene, defamatory, likely to incite violence; or illegal activity, in violation of any third-party’s rights or any relevant regulations or is otherwise deemed to be inappropriate.
- Applications must not attempt to duplicate a prior application already submitted in this Programme. The Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any application that in their opinion is a duplicate or substantially similar to another application.
- Applications must not violate the intellectual property rights or other rights-including, but not limited to, copyright, trademark, patent, contract, and/or privacy rights of any other person or entity.
- By entering an application the participant represents, warrants and agrees that any use of the application by the Organizers (or any of their respective partners, subsidiaries and affiliates) as authorized by these Terms & Conditions, shall not infringe upon, misappropriate or otherwise violate any intellectual property right or proprietary right including, without limitation, any registered or unregistered trademark, copyright, design rights or patent, nor any privacy rights, moral rights nor any other rights of any person or entity.
- Participants in the previous call for applications that did not win are welcome to submit an improved version of their previous application or a new application.
- Teams currently undergoing incubation support in the program are not allowed to submit another application in the program.
For more information, visit https://upaccelerate.co.ug/about-accelerate-way-edition